Schauckis
(.300 member)
21/07/11 04:26 AM
Re: Large PG hunt suggestion?

Thank you so far.
As usual, well thought-of responses to keep up a good discussion!
My initial post was purposefully slightly vague.

Some initial views on the responses, and maybe to keep the discussion going on:

Country-wise the best options for the budget hunter seem to be Zim and Namibia. The price/quality ratio tends to be excellent in both.
Based on more experienced hunters' views, this is not necessarily always so in RSA. Many opine that the hunting in RSA is so industrialized that it has taken the sport out of it. Granted, this is for sure not categorically so. Perhaps one should keep a more open mind anyway.

As an extension of this line of thinking, John certainly hit the nail on the head in commenting about the native animals. Where plenty, often reasonably priced (subject to demand).

The cull hunts would be an option especially if one is looking for quite a limited number of species, yet a high number of game taken at low cost. My biggest concern here is the sporting aspect. I.e. culling is quite something else than a selective trophy hunt.
On the topic of trophies I think that one needs to be cautios here, too. If trophy size/quality is immaterial, i.e. no heads to be shipped home, then a female hunt or a cull type hunt could be a very valid option.

Broadly speaking, I have been eyeing the late season offers.
You spot one and contact the outfitter requesting whether some less desired animals could be swapped for something more desirable, or add +1 of those that you really want. This way at least you get to shoot what you want to pay for or rather the other way around: no need to pay for what you don't want. On both my safaris I did a bit of tailoring like this.
In this regard I agree very strongly with John that one should carefully consider what one has already taken and whether one wants any more. And to have quite a clear priority order on the animals not yet taken.

A note on the giraffe: where I was hunting in Namibia there were giraffe like jackrabbits!
This is perhaps area-concentrated, i.e. there are areas that are significantly much more giraffe-poor than others.
In Zim where I shot one they were not that numerous but the price was still reasonable enough for me to take the deal.

For me, the most fun to hunt have been zebra, blue wildebeest and giraffe. Ready to take on those any time!
Impala was actually also quite fun on the last day in Zim when we tried to get within handgun distance. Alas, no success.

- Lars/Finland

Contact Us NitroExpress.com