DarylS
(.700 member)
21/07/11 02:01 AM
Re: OK, which rifle for leopard?

Quote:

Cats have very active nervous systems. They are sensitive to bullet velocity. Anything that goes over 2500 fps and sheds energy quickly will work well. A good deer calibre with soft point, frangible bullets will work. I believe Harry Selby used a .243 on leopard with much success (over 100 happy and uninjured clients). A .308 with 150 grain Hornady round nose bullets would work wonders. It will be a short range shot. Use a bright, low powered scope.

Never shot one - but- in that line of thinking, a .308 or other non-betted .30 cal with a 150gr. FN .30/30 bullet. My cousin used to use them for deer in his match rifle - pow/whack - instant lights out- over 30 deer that way, some big, some small. Might work well on the smaller cats.

Cats, even house cat can be exceptionally tough - expeically with low velocity - Albertan, you might just have the reason. I've shot hundreds of wild and semi-wild house cats- they are tough. Hard to imagine just how tough an 80 to 150 pound cat would be - or 400pounds. I think the .375 and 225's or 200 SierraFN'd or 220 HornadyFN's sounds better for leopards all the time.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com