4seventy
(Sponsor)
27/07/04 07:08 AM
Re: Dbl 9.3x74R or Bolt 458 for DG in close charge?

I have seen on video, Cape buffalo bulls shot with both 470 and 500 NE where the bullet goes under the brain and has had zero or very little effect toward stopping the animal, despite the large bullet diameter, and big bullet weight and energy.

When I select a rifle to back clients up on Water buff or scrub bull one of my prioritys is to choose an ADEQUATE caliber/cartridge.
Another is to use the most suitable bullet.
IMO 9.3/74 loaded with the right bullets is adequate for this job. Not ideal, but adequate.
Next is to choose a rifle that I KNOW is totally reliable.
But probabally the most important thing is that the rifle must fit me perfectly and I must be familiar with it and shoot it well.

When things get close and nasty I'd rather put a 320gn Woodleigh Solid from a 9.3 double into the bulls brain and maybe have a second chance with my second barrel if I missed the brain with the first, than to put a 500 grain bullet from a 458 a couple of inches low/high or anywhere else and have no second chance!

Selecting a tool to stop a charging bull is very different to selecting a suitable cartridge for general hunting of the same animal IMO.
Anyone who thinks that in a tight situation they can substitute bullet weight, diameter, foot pounds energy and cartridge reputation for good bullet placement, is heading in the wrong direction IMO.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com