9.3x57
(.450 member)
01/12/10 08:52 AM
Re: The "Safari Knife"

I think Xausa and Nitro nailed it as far as guided hunts are concerned. The fellow being guided always has a yearning for the need for a knife, but all he really needs is a folding bottle opener and most of the time not even that.

As for what we carry, well, in the field its usually what I make, but truth be known, often in the kitchen when the elk and deer are cut up it is a combination that always involves a couple cheap maker-unknown "filet" knives, the type that have the stainless whippy blades and plastic handles. They work great. I've been meaning to make one like them as I have some millsaws that would work great, and made a friend a small fishing knife from that material that worked out nicely. Yeah, I know, making a "custom" knife to meet the specs of something bought for 4 bucks seems a little odd, and maybe that's the reason I haven't got round to it yet.....

Best multi-tool made IMO is the discontinued Vice-Grips model. I have two we treasure. We dumped Leathermen a long time ago since they aren't worth sh__ when fence wire and stuff like that gets in the way, and the little Vice-Grips cut it all and open rusted shut locking "O" rings we use on the trapline, too, something the Leathermen choke on as well. Tho they don't make the multitool version anymore, if you want a great little belt tool, get the small version of the Vice-Grip and you have a winner.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com