NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/11/10 02:24 AM
Re: The "Safari Knife"

On one safari I think I did not take a sheath knife. However usually mine just stays in the day pack or even the duffel bag in the hut.

I always carry a pocket knife of some sort, Swiss or Leatherman, or something like that. I carry one every day, everywhere, at least if I forget to take it out and leave it in the car, when in "urban" areas in Australia. I remember I used to take a Swiss Army Knife in my camera bag on planes too, and once had to surrender it to be held by the Pilot, on a flight from London to Nairobi, or it could have been Cairo. Got it back at the other end. Something about the blade being slightly too long.

Those were the days, eh? When passengers could have attacked the box cutter wielding terrorist nut jobs instead of dying like sheep ....

I often wear a sheath knife many days at home on the farm as well, but it sometimes gets in the way.

So ....

why not carry one on safari as well.

In Africa, it is often not needed. Might come in handy for peeling an apple or something like that. Usually a client doesn't get down and help with the skinning, but I think it goes with being part of hunting.

My favourite knife at the moment, is a simple one I acquired last.

A Brueletto "Trollkniven"

Very sharp. Easy to sharpen, but prone to rust if not oiled in afterwards.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com