Schauckis
(.300 member)
10/11/10 07:08 AM
Re: Hartebeest thread

Thanks, Bob!

In fact, the shot on my 1st gemsbok was a lot better although it hit low almost breaking the frot leg in two. I got in a follow-up shot, and kept on shooting and loading: six shots were fired three of which hit.... This induced the PH to comment: "You shoot that rifle pretty fast, Lars!" I don't think he had ever before appreciated the speed of the lever action in action (pun intended).

Incidentally, the gun is 8,2mm (.323") in caliber, proving once yet the viability of the 8mm in African use, too. I was shooting 200grs Nosler AccuBonds whose performance was sterling, indeed.

Back to topic, though: I had the most splendid chance on the Hartebeest, but he took both me and the PH by surprise. We were able to sneak in really close to him (there were two of them, in fact) and I moved to the left of the PH on my belly. Suddenly, the Hartebeest stepped out from behind the bushes, and I didn't get the rifle lined up as I was lying down. Trying not to move too fast so as not to jump him, I wasn't able to get up quick enough which would have ended up in a marvelous killing shot for sure, as he was very close to us, maybe 30 or 40 meters. I finally took the shot offhand @ about 100 meters, and the PH was of the opinion the shot was good based on the reaction of the Hartebeest, as well as the sound of the hit. Alas, this proved to be wrong....

- Lars/Finland

Contact Us NitroExpress.com