Freeloader123
(.275 member)
23/10/10 12:43 PM
Re: Elephant charge!

Quote:

One problem is reloading, too much guys are so worried about retrieving empties that they look to see where the cases go.

Much better especially with DG to stuff the brass and reload at the shoulder.

Not just with dangerous game. I've read of more than one cop here in the states that's been found dead with an empty revolver and a pocketfull of empty cases. That is, back when the cops used revolvers.

Stopping dumping the brass into your pocket is a hard habit for reloaders to break. The funny thing is that was one of the selling points for a manually operated fire-arm. They wouldn't fling the brass all over like a semi-auto. I wonder how many people got killed because they bought into that?

Quote:

However, cycling the bolt with the rifle in the shoulder is not a trick acquired without a lot of practice.

It's really not that hard if you don't develop any bad habits first. A little instruction is also not a bad thing. Pick up an old Army field manual. I learned to work a bolt-actioned rifle from FM 23-6, Basic Field Manual, U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1917.

Everybody in my family used lever rifles. So cycling the bolt from the shoulder is the only way I ever knew how to shoot one.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com