NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/09/10 09:01 PM
Re: African Trophies to Australia

Quote:

If it is listed under CITES then you won't get it in. eg Leopard and Elephant Ivory. Warthog are fine. They are simply worried about the ivory as they don't know the difference.

There are different classes of CITES animals.

Class 1 are prohibited imports.

Class 2 SHOULD be OK if accompanied by a CITES permit.

Elephant is on CITES 2, but under the Hawke Labor gov't they were made a "special" prohibited exception and all elephant products banned from import into Australia.

Quote:

It is easier and cheaper to get pelts in if they have been tanned in Africa and the Taxidermy studio should be able to provide a Veterinary Certificate saying they have been tanned properly. Same with shoulder mounts if done in RSA.

I have no knowledge of wet hides.

Wet hides are not acceptable I believe.

Taxidermy studios are able to organise "dip and pack" services to provide what is required for Aust imports.

A good idea is to speak to your taxidermist before hand, what is required, and what they need, or need to do, to take delivery of your trophies. You WILL NEED the taxidermists address anyway to put on your African export paperwork.

I believe some of mine had to be "irradiated" when received.

Mine have all been dried and stiff when received.

Some guys have brought back trophies in the plane with them, usually bone, horns and antlers, which need to be "dry", but I have no knowledge about this and any issues or requirements.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com