DUGABOY1
(.400 member)
15/07/04 06:59 AM
Re: Dbl 9.3x74R or Bolt 458 for DG in close charge?

Adhering to your question without any other choice, I would go with the 9.3X74R double rifle, over the 458 Win Mag bolt rifle! Like you I consider the double a better choice, for two quick, aimed, shots! If I might add the use of the 320 Wooliegh steel jacketed solids in the 9.3, would be a plus, added to the plus of being a double!

With that out of the way, my question, to you is, what do you consider "CLOSE RANGE"? If, the charge starts at under 20 yds, then the double still applies, if, however, you consider the close carge starting at 50 yds, then the opinion would change! Then, as much as I love double rifles, I would go with a CRF 458 Win Mag Bolt rifle. This is because at 50 yds, I can, absolutely get three, and maybe four shots out of the bolt rifle on a Buffalo, but at under 20 yds chances are I would only get one from the bolt 458, and deffinetly two from the 9.3 double!

Now, with one more choice, if I could have a 9 lb 450/400NE 3" double, I would can both the others, regardless of the distance!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com