jhrod
(.224 member)
14/07/04 11:50 AM
Re: African Safaris

Okay, I'll be the one to offer the contrarian view. I personally would not hesitate for second to consider Zim.

You will see in your internet research all sorts and every manner of negative press about Zimbabwe, and it cannot be denied; the government, political system and economy of the country is a mess. But I just got back from there a little over a month ago, and I can tell you that none of that seems to be affecting those with whom you would primarily deal with while there - i.e. the general Zimbabwean population. I have never met a more friendly people, a more service oriented people, or a more genuine people than I did in Zim. I felt safer there than in Cape Town.

We Americans are very quick to judge, and are far, far too quick to accept the perspective of the media in terms of assessing/evaluating risk, perceived or real. Yeah, there might be more relative risk in going to Zim as compared to Namibia, but there is far more risk than either of those when you drive to the airport.

As far as convincing others to go, I can only say that while I was also somewhat skeptical, I dream daily of getting back to Africa. If I had to pick the one thing that bugs me most about hunting here in the US, it is that the biggest challenge is not one of pitting ourselves against the animals, but pitting ourselves against the impact of our fellow hunters and other people enjoying the what little land is left to wildlife. In Africa, I never had another hunter or human that had any material effect on the conduct or outcome of a hunt. And secondly, that while we in the US do a pretty damn good job of teaching the techniques of customer service, we've got no clue whatsoever about the appropriate attitude needed for good customer service, for which the Africans will steal your heart.

Go man, and if you can't convince your hunting buddies, go anyway. And if that isn't possible, call me and I'll go with you.

Jeff

Contact Us NitroExpress.com