BOWHUNR
(.224 member)
19/05/10 04:01 AM
Back From Zimbabwe

But without Mr. Spots.

Booking Agent – Tracking Africa Safari’s (George Gehrman)
Travel Agent – Gracy Travel (Meliza Solis)
Airline – Delta/SA Airlink
Guest House - Afton
Outfitter – Mbalabala Safari’s
Location – Mbalabala Zimbabwe/West Nicholson Zimbabwe
P.H. – Lindon Stanton
Rifle #1 - Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H with Nosler Custom 300 gr. Nosler Partitions
Rifle #2 - Winchester Model 70 7x57 Mauser with Federal Vital Shok 140 gr. Nosler Partitions
Species Hunted - Leopard, Sable, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Bushpig
Species Taken - Sable, Waterbuck, Klipspringer, Zebra, (6) Impala Bait
Species Seen – Leopard, Crocodile, Waterbuck, Brown Hyena, Hippo, Eland, Kudu, Giraffe, Zebra, Reedbuck, Klipspringer, Impala, Warthog, Duiker, Steenbuck, Baboon, Monkey

I arrived in Johannesburg on April 29th and was promptly met by Bruce and Chris with Gracy travel. I can’t say enough good things about Gracy’s SA firearms permit and meet and greet services. My overnight was spent at the Afton House, which is always a pleasure. On April 30th I was off to Bulawayo and ready to start my 14 day safari.

My primary goal on this hunt was a big male Leopard and much of our time was devoted to checking, hanging and shooting baits (those who have hunted leopard over bait will know what I mean). My safari took place on two properties. Mashura Ranch which is southeast of West Nicholson, right on the northern border of the Bubiana Conservancy and Limerick Ranch the Stanton’s cattle ranch on the extreme eastern end of the Matopo Hills.

Because of the rains and early dates of my hunt this part of Zimbabwe was very green this year. We had several Leopards on bait at both properties over the course of my safari but only females and young males of around 130 pounds. We were seeing the tracks of three big cats with 42” plus strides, but just couldn’t get them to hit the baits. We even resorted to using live goats the last four days. I had told myself before leaving that I would not shoot a cat under 160 pounds so that took care of taking a poke at the smallish males that were feeding.

Green tree's and tall grass.

On the second day while out hunting for baits we stumbled upon this Waterbuck. We were able to stalk within 60 yards and a single lung shot from the .375 put him down.

On day number three I shot this Zebra Stallion for bait. However, upon examining his flawless hide I decided to keep him as a trophy. A quartering away shot with the .375 took him trough the heart, almost splitting it in half.

Day number five took us up into the hills in search of Klipspringer. We saw several, but those little guys can haul ass and have the vision of an Eagle. After a couple of failed stalks I took this ram at 175 yards with the 7x57. He was facing us and the bullet entered his chest and exited his rectum. Talk about being center punched!

On the ninth day of the hunt we came upon this guy in the heavy brush. This is the only animal taken that required more than one shot, mainly because of poor placement by the guy behind the rifle. He was strongly quartering away and the first shot with the .375 took him behind the rib cage, through the liver and into the off side shoulder. As we stalked to within 50 yards I gave him a finisher through the lungs.

We spent a couple of afternoons looking for a big Hippo bull but only found young bulls, cows and calves.

To say I was not disappointed about coming home without a Leopard would be a lie, but I kept it real from the start and realized with the standards I had set I had a 50/50 chance of putting a 160+ pound cat in the salt.

I had a great safari and was treated more like family than a client by the Stanton's. One thing is for sure though, I will return to Zimbabwe to take another crack at Mr. Spots. Even though my home and family are in Nebraska, there will always be a part of my heart that remains in Zimbabwe.

Mike

Contact Us NitroExpress.com