mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
14/06/04 10:37 AM
Re: Cabela's African Safaris? Any Good?

Just a few general comments: I'm usually not one to yell "the sky is falling", however, all that is going on in Zimbabwe currently has me concerned about personal safety. Now any P.H. worth his salt will do his utmost to keep you out of trouble and safe. But, sometimes s... does happen. I,personally, am avoiding Zim.for the forseeable future.

Excellent Cape Buffalo can be had in South Africa, but....in my humble opinion it's not a true wilderness buffalo hunt. And buffalo in RSA are quite expensive....figure a trophy fee in the range of $9500.00 to $14,000.00.

Tanzania has excellent buffalo in some areas-do your homework. There are also some excellent Cape Buffalo packages to be had there. The concessions are large, and you won't run into fences. It's as close to old time hunting as one can get.

Cabela's does offer some attractive hunts, but as with anyone, you've got to ask the right questions. Some areas are better at certain times of the year...too early in some areas, and the grass is too high and too green to be burned off.

Shikari, from what I've heard, also has some excellent hunts, but again, ask questions, and no matter who you consider hunting with, ask for references. I always ask for a list of every hunter from the previous year, and the current year. If the list seems too short, that might be a red flag. Contact every reference!!! A phone bill of one or two hundred dollars and time spent on the computer emailing people is well worth it when you're going to be plopping down a big chunk of your hard earned money. Good luck in your plans and future hunt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com