tophet1
(.400 member)
10/02/10 01:31 PM
Re: Wildebeest thread

I've shot two. A Black Wildebeast cow as a cull hunt:

and a cull Blue Wildebeast Bull

Both proved very tenacious of life. The Black was not found till the following day despite being transfixed by a .308 165 Woodleigh which took off the top of the L lung, penetrated the liver the paunch and was found in the meat of the groin.

Quote:

I also used some of my .308 165 PPSN handloads left over from last year. Here is the one recovered from the black wildebeast we temporarily lost.

Retained weight was 153.5 grains. Impact was just over 200 metres and it penetrated 42cm+ through lung, liver, all the gut and into the ham.

If there is a marriage made in heaven it is the .308W and the 165 Woodleigh PPSN. In fact with the shot placement I achieved with the 9.3x62, I beleive the above .308W combination would have done the same job, albeit with a smaller margin for error.

The Blue was a very interesting animal. Shot at less than 40 metres head on, I did not realise they have a chest shaped like the prow of the Titanic. The projectile traveled around the outside of the rib cage and was found under the shoulder blade. No vital organs were touched and no blood spilt on the ground. It was found dead 217 metres away (lasered). We assume impact from the projectile stopped the heart.

Don't shoot them low and front on unless you have a massive canon. If shooting them head on, aim for the base of the neck for a neck/central spine shot.

(Image added to NE server)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com