93mouse
(.375 member)
06/01/10 01:33 AM
Re: The Kudu Thread!

It was in Namibia back in uhm 95 I guess - anyway - The day was closing in and we were on our way back to the vehicle with a brief stop and look over the water hole upon our way. Approaching approximately 400 yards away from the water hole, we spotted two kudu bulls that were hanging around. A brief glimpse through the binoculars discovered young bulls with horns going into their second turn. I was still busy observing the youngsters when I felt a hasty pulls on my right hand. It was a tracker that was anxiously showing me something between the bushes some 50 yards to the left of the bulls. I raised my binos just to uncover (IMO) another rather average horned kudu bull. Tracker was amased by the bull`s appearance (not me at the moment). Since it was my first day hunting I unwillingly agreed to give it a try (expecting that something would come in between) in the meantime bull headed away behind the shallow ridge so we did not see him anymore. With last sunbeams behind our backs, we slipped between bushes and carefully approached the ridge. When we peeked over, at the first glimpse there was nothing in the valley below that would catch our eye. But there on the darkening horizon some 250 yds away, one couldn hardly separate the majestic contour of the gray ghost in the jess - standing broadside with head turned our way he sure knew we were there. The moment of truth came faster then expected and there was not time for any excuse left. Tracker offered me a shoulder and corked his ears Sauer 202 in 7mm rem. Mag. topped with Schmidt & Bender 3-12x56 set to 6 x - 4A was put high on the shoulder it looked awfully far and I let RWS TIG a go. At the bang the bull disappeared and all I saw was tracker departing in fast run over to the fallen bull. That looked quite strange to me since I was accustomed to wait at least 5 minutes before approaching the downed animal. When tracker saw that I am not following he yelled at me to come over as fast as I can. So I did. Later he told me that he saw a bull went down indicating a high shot and that he was worried about shot being too high (grazed the spine - client lost one that way a month prior my hunt). When we arrived to the downed animal it was hit just where the aim was - still alive tho so I put another one in his neck. It turned out it was a great old one and I am quite happy with it.

(Image(s) added to NE server)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com