Phil_in_the_UK
(.275 member)
15/05/04 05:00 AM
Best Boots for Africa

Wasn’t sure where to post this one but it’s an African Hunting related item so here goes. The last time I went to Africa the one item of gear that I got seriously wrong was boots. My feet went through hell, hot or what. Light weight walking boots made by Brasher, with a Gortex lining which may have been the problem. When they got wet, they steamed your feet and when dry, baked them. Used a few different socks, light cotton and also a few of the technical “wicking” type socks.

I have been advised to go for a good quality walking boot, Meindl, without any liner and to go for the high ankle boot rather than the low ankle. Sock wise go for a wicking type natural fine Marino wool type.

The alternative is the Courtney Selous type with no socks. Great if you wear them every day with feet like leather but unfortunately here in the UK weather your feet will never get like leather, you’ll get foot rot from being wet or frost bite.

So what do you more seasoned travellers think and what do the professional hunters think a client should wear. The Brasher’s I wore were well broken in they were just too damn hot.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com