eagle27
(.400 member)
29/10/09 05:19 PM
Re: Cape Buffalo Bulls#*t

Thanks Nitrox
I think you have done us all a valuable service and brought us back down to earth again now our hackles have been lowered.
We all obviously share a common interest and some are more fortunate than others in having been amongst the big boys but of course that doesn't lessen the opinion and thoughts of those that haven't. While I have been lucky and probably stupid in my earlier years of hunting I envy those today like Westley who have got to Africa. Hopefully I will do that too some day soon.

Funny when I think back now and am ashamed to admit I can't even remember what ammo I used on the buffs I did shoot. I was young and not so into tallying up all the details back then. All I know is I know is that I used some Parker Hale factory 400gr FMJ some original Kynoch 400gr SP and some of my own reloads with the RWS 400gr FMJ. Only recall recovering one RWS solid from the rear hip ball joint of a big buff after it travelled full length from a high chest shot and lodged right in that large strong joint. All I know is that everything fell over when hit. Stupid me I could have got more out of it had I been more of an enquiring mind back then. Next time I will be more astute.

I too admit that if possible it is always more exciting taking a shot at any animal by getting in close and facing it. As a lefty using RH bolt rifles I am then in reality using a single shot so face an even greater challenge of making the first one count. I do sometimes wonder what the challenge is when viewing some of the videos online of hunters taking an elephant side on with a scoped rifle over sticks when they could have stalked a lot closer and taken the standing shot. So I do concur with Westley on this but only from my own feelings of not the shot for me. How others go about their hunting is their choice and I only wish them good hunting.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com