Ripp
(.577 member)
02/05/09 12:09 PM
Re: blue clothing and African hunting

Quote:

Quote:

I have the impression that different animals have different abilities to see different colors.

I don't recall wearing much blue while hunting in Africa, so I have no personal knowledge regarding how that would work, but I have had a moose come straight at me while I was wearing blue and sitting in the middle of an animal path in the forest. The only reason it stopped and turned around to flee when it reached 2 meters in front of me was because I moved by raising my rifle. So it clearly did not react negatively to the navy blue wool shirt I was wearing. Moose don't react much or at all to red or orange either for that sake.

+1

Erik, your experience with moose is similar to mine with deer and elk. Neither seem to be bothered by blue or any other color unless I'm moving, except my experience doesn't jibe with what I've read on the subject which is that blue is visible to game. I KNOW it is amazingly brilliant to me.

I taught my kids my kids they have Three Strikes; Smell, Visual Movement, Sound. They can afford one, maybe two, but if the critter sees, smells and hears you, go home and come back tomorrow. And smell is the worst offender of all.

Anyway, the absolute best camo on the planet IMHO is white on snow. Good grief, alot of critters are just plain brain dead in the presence of white snow camo against snow.

But even that is erased by smell and movement on top of it.

What you say is true in my experience as well,especially when it comes to scent..while bowhunting, if an animal hears something and you wait it out, you can usually get back in the game..but IF he smells you..game over..

As to color, again with archery, one day I was shooting in an outdoor archery range..28 station..a new member started in the wrong area and blew 2 whitetail towards me..I had a bright RED t-shirt on..actually a Coca-cola t-shirt---I stood perfectly still in the trail by the target I had just pulled my arrows out of..they walked right towards me to with 10 feet ..moved along the trail and kept right on going without ever noticing me ...incredible experience but again, just showed how important wind truly is...

After that day, I have never used scents or bought the new rage in scent free clothing..if you play the wind you will never need it and if you don't play the wind..you just wasted some $$ as they will smell you anyway..scent free clothes or not..IMHO...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com