alexbeer
(.333 member)
28/04/09 12:20 PM
Re: Charges by Dangerous game

I cannot claim great "being charged" experience here, but in 30 odd years of various types of hunting, I have been charged by Water Buffalo twice, and was sort of charged once when I got in the way of one that was rapidly departing after she was hit.

For those who have never been charged, "Please don’t think that this kind of thing happens every time you are out hunting dangerous game". IMO a charge situation should not occur every time you hunt, despite what is portrayed on some videos. I hope all you out there who have done many many times more big game hunting than I ever will, will agree to that.

But charges do sometimes happen and if one does, it will be a memorable moment to say the least. The un-eventful parts of the hunt seem to fade considerably compared to a time when a serious charge occurred.

I put down my first charge at 10 feet in some real thick stuff with a single shot 375 JDJ handgun (back in my younger days when I had more balls than brains ) I gave him three more the ground, to make sure he stayed dead!

Second one was ended with a Jeffery 450/400 double at about 10 yards. I let him come a bit to make sure of him and managed to belt him fair in the fore-head. Dropped him cold with the first shot. Gave him another couple on the ground to make sure of him too!

The one I got in the way of was stopped at 6 yards with the same 450/400 double (that was at night in the moonlight, but that’s another story). Had some assistance with that one, a good mate with a 458. We were side by side and both fired at the same time, Buff went down for keeps, problem solved.

Each of these was a very serious situation (any real charge not serious) so please excuse me if I sound blasé, I don't mean to be. The only other person to really know how I really felt would have been the person who did my laundry....

I guess I was lucky with my first experience, but after that I became a great believer in preparing for the un-expected. So I do agree whole-heartedly with what several others here have posted about practicing for the event should it ever happen.

Expect the best but prepare for the worst.

Enjoy your hunting; unfortunately our bodies are un-able to hunt forever.

Can't wait to chase ol’ Bubalus bubalis again though, heading off in late June

Alex

alexbeer.com

PS – As usual, I’m open to correction if someone thinks it's needed.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com