Ndumo
(.300 member)
21/04/09 09:29 PM
When is a leopard a trophy?

I am posting this here as I believ the people here would have a fairer opinion on the subject than the know it alls on some other forums.

I recently shot a cattle killing leopard female with a client, and although he was very happy with the hunt, he was sorely dissapointed with the weight of the cat. (45kg or 100lbs.)
The skull measured 14 inches, which is bigger than NQC (Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism's Quality control measurement) minimum by nearly an inch. After he saw the weight, he changed his tune, and wanted to hunt another "of real trophy size". He did the hunt for free, so I was happy to get him that specific cat.

My question is, what do you consider a trophy leopard? Is the weight that important? What about the skull, and the NQC minimums? Do you consider age, or the fact that this hunt was for a cattle killer at all? It was a real exciting hunt IMO, and I personally would have been happy with the end result.
I would like some thoughts from you guys, before I put up a picture of the leopard. (Maybe with the client's face blurred?)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com