DoubleD
(.400 member)
08/04/09 11:25 PM
Re: Exporting a firearm from South Africa

My post on British Militaria from my Importation adventures just last year. http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/7521

When I was in South Africa I bought guns to bring back with me when I returned to the U.S. I intended to bring the guns back as accompanied baggage. That didn't happen. I thought I would share with you what it did take to get the guns back as it turned out to be the same process as if you bought guns from a Gundealer in SA and had them shipped to home.

I acquired a total of five guns. A Martini Sporter Carbine, Westly Richards 1871 patent, Westley Richards Sherwood and two LeClercq system .410 shotguns. I could not take physical possession of the guns in SA and they were held by a gun dealer for me for over a year. The Gun dealer said he could arrange for the all the paper work for the export. Two weeks before I was ready to leave SA the dealer tells me the paper work wouldn't be ready in time for me to take the guns with me. Further he wasn't sure he was doing the right paper work. This guy had 18 months to get this paper work in order and he didn't.

I contacted Classic Arms in Witbank and hired them them to take over the export.

I had to pay R300/$40 to have the guns picked up and couriered to Classic in Witbank from Titan Arms in Durban. I had the guns in two gun cases, a Tuffpak and a two gun hard case.

The guns arrive safe an sound in Witbank. Terry at Classic then told me two of them must be registered as they are listed as unknown in the system.

Once the two guns are reregistered then Terry started the export process--she applied for the export permits. Those came through in about three weeks. Terry then packed up all 5 guns in the Tuffpak and arranged for shipment. The second case will be sent Seafright---parcel post.

Classic Arms fees for the export.

Export Application R200/$26.66
Curior to Airfreight R300/$40
Handling fee R250 per gun not originating form Classic Arms-4 guns R1000/ $133.33

Airfreight Fees.

Airfreight Z2600.70/$346.76 for 24 kg
Customs Documentation Z250/$33.33
Guard Force Z1450/$207.14
Guardforce Transfer Z350/$46.66
Border Police Inspection Z450/$64.29
Safe hndling fee Z250/$33.33
Communication Fee Z50/$6.67

Upon arrival in the U.S. I was able to clear the shipment as a free entry unaccompanied baggage. If you buy guns over seas and hve then imported you and you haven't actually traveled over seas you will have brokerage fees to pay.

In order to claim my guns, I had to pay Delta Airlines a $25 processing fee.

Now that I have the guns, I still must pay the Pittman-Robinson Act Excise tax of 11% tax on each gun.

The second gun case is being sent seafreight--parcel post for R500/$66.67. It's a $250 case so worth it.

Bottom line, if the guns are not extremely valuable it's just not worth it.

The Rand Dollar exchange is from last year when the exchange was around R7.5 to $1.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com