Ripp
(.577 member)
06/04/09 10:28 AM
Re: Terminal Ballistics on Eland.

Quote:

I have had outstanding sub MOA performance in my 9.3x62 with the Nosler 250 Accubond projectile all the way out to 300 yards @ 2,642 fps.

Do you think that projectile would be tough enough for Mature Eland at <100 yards ? or should I stick with Woodleigh 286 Protected Points ?

500Nitro and Ozhunter, I know what your answers would be. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say.

Let me save you a lot of trouble -stay with the Woodleigh...

Have used the Accubonds on several species..have never been that impressed ..

Used them first on one of my first trips to Africa out of my 300 Ultra mag--180gr--at around 3370 fps..poor penetration on the bigger stuff--waterbuck and kudu---and very violent and explosive on impala..too much speed for the bullet...

Have used them out of my .280 shooting 140's at around 3000 fps--worked fine on mule deer..and there in is, what I believe, is the nitch for Accubonds..if you use them go heavy for caliber and keep the velocity under 3000 fps--they will work "o.k."...BUT personally I would NEVER use them on Eland--there are so many better bullets out there for that..why risk it??

If you wanted a polymer tipped bullet, IMHO, you would be much better served to go with the scirroco..as I believe it is suppose to retain around 80% of its weight versus 65 to 70 for the Accubonds..--but still would much prefer to use a A-frame or Barnes XXX or Woodleigh instead of either of those on Eland..

Eland are verg large--around 2000 lbs compared to a cape buff around 1500...The last one I shot last year was at about 75 yards--again 300 Ultra--but this time using 200gr A-Frames...eland went about 40 yards and tipped over..DEAD...bullet traveled to just under the skin on the opposite side and retained 92% of its weight...with a perfect mushroom...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com