Ripp
(.577 member)
26/03/09 11:10 AM
Re: Heading to Africa, which gun should I take?

While I would use and state the 30-06 is plenty for any of the animals you stated....but I would take both..there is NO way I would travel that far with one gun..and Yes, I know you can borrow one if something happened but it's not the same..I like to be comfortable with the guns I am shooting when paying for a hunt even more so..

I would shoot them both a lot--but again, for the area you are hunting you will not need anything larger than the '06 and will probably use that the most--.. it is plenty for kudu and gemsbuck...so shoot it the most and from various hunting positions..shots in South can and are at times further than you will shoot in the bush of Zim or other areas..again, in my opinion, the '06 is more versatile for both the game and area you are hunting...

Also practice shooting off of sticks--if you have not done that before if can be a bit awkward at first on how you grab your gun both fore and aft of the sticks..

As to grains of bullets--in the '06 --I would stay with the 180's---if you were taking a magnum 30 of one sort or another I would go with a 200...used them last year out of my 300 Ultra--worked very well with the A-Frames---have used that same caliber on 4 hunts when hunting plains game---and like the 200 grainers better on the big stuff but am also shooting close to 3200 fps with them..

Most important again, IMHO, more so than caliber and bullets is shot placement..so practice, practice, practice...and have a great hunt...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com