Ripp
(.577 member)
23/03/09 04:15 AM
Re: Leopard charge.

Quote:

A fellow I know used a US M1 .30 Carbine for years on cougar {"lion" around here} and others I've spoken to also had great things to say about that rifle for cougar hunting. Would probably make a pretty good leopard gun to for followups. Seems anemic, I know, but for close fast shooting, using soft point ammo, the round is deadly, and the guns handle like a good shotgun. I doubt they are available or even legal where the leopard are, but just a thought...

Agree with you the 30 carbine would be good but as you suggested not legal, just as those suggested by Xausa would also not be legal for leopard --at least they would not have been in the areas I have hunted them in...

As to the shotgun---as Shakari has stated, and everything I have seen and been told--I would NOT use that for leopard..have been told by more than one PH--they are worthless on leopard..and as suggested, penetration sucks....stick with the double...

I have shot many coyotes with the shotgun as well---off of a snowmobile and also calling them--based on what I see there,,would personally never use the shotgun..better than nothing, but just barely...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com