Bramble
(.375 member)
17/03/09 12:03 PM
Re: Need more advice - rule of thumb for tipping staff.

Thorshammer

Please do not misunderstand me.

You are not WRONG. You work for your money and may spend it in anyway you see fit and it is not for me or anyone else to tell you that you may not, nor sir was I trying to intimate that.

As John said about Australia. Tipping is also not the norm here. One might leave a small amount for a waiter if the service is good, but his salery is already included in the price of your meal, it is a curtsey not an expectation. I understand that it is different in the US where most service staff are on minimum wage.

I enquire as to the wages of the trackers etc while I am there and tip a days pay for each 5 days worked if I can see effort on my behalf. In addition throughout the days I give the chaps drinks and cigerettes or at least offer them whenever I embibe myself. No different than I would do with staff at home.

As for the PH, I will tip according to effort and/or results. I dident tip the pilot of the plane for just getting it on the ground afterall but I would have bought the Hudson River pilot a large drink if I had been a passenger on that one, if you get my meaning.

I think that the idea of tips puts a lot of people off going on Safari. Many people just could not afford to do as you suggest and I think that unfortunatly the large tipping culture is becoming the norm.

Regards

Contact Us NitroExpress.com