NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/03/09 10:29 AM
Re: Need more advice - rule of thumb for tipping staff.

Quote:

Quote:

so with you class 1 2 3 what precentage of the safari cost do you give to each
mine is

1. 25%
2. 15%
3. 10%
of total price of safari

Until I read that I had never considered myself a mean man......but there is no ******* way that I am going to give away 50% of the cost of my trip additionaly in tips.

I also run a building contracting company, would I expect my professionals to be tipped 25% the value of a contract, no way on earth. I am genuinely shocked.

Absolutely right.

No need to base a tip on the value of a safari.

Also the percentages seem to creep (sky rocket) up every year!

Hell Bells, tips are not meant to be wages. Wages are supposed to be paid by the outfitter to HIS staff out of the fees you have already been charged. Over tipping also makes them dissatisfied for future clients.

Work out the $ or Rand tip one wants to give and give that.

If the outfitter and PH are one and the same, I give a gift, not a tip.

I would rank:
PH;
Chief Tracker;
Any other tracker & skinners;
Cook;
Other staff.

Really I thought the US custom of tipping was only for "direct service" staff, not an entire camp including every unseen goatherd and milk boy?

The CIA Fact Book lists the average GDP in South Africa as US$6000 per year and that is with a lot of income stratified at the top. If wages are say $1500 to $4000 per year, you can see what a good tip is.

In places like Tanzania it is evident that some greedy outfitters seem to think providing mealie meal and a hut is enough for staff and any cash income has to come from tips. Sometimes generously paying $1 to $3 per day. While charging clients thousands of dollars a day.

I would like the same outfitters whom recommend large tips to specify what wages they pay their staff.

I will enlighten you however that tipping in Australia is virtually non-existent. Really a demeaning custom.

But work out the $ or Rand tip one wants to give and give that.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com