NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/03/09 05:00 PM
Re: Zimbabwe safety

Quote:

I would go and have fun, but I would have a Plan B for getting out of the country in the event of real disturbance. When I went in May, it was between the fist election and the run off, when all of the violence was happening - I saw none, nor any evidence of it. My Plan B was over the bridge into Zambia or across the Zambezi into Zambia by boat. Same plan in November.

A few extra US$ as a emergency reserve is usually prudent.

The thing about any African country is quite a lot of them can be unstable politically, but safaris are still conducted and clients never have any major problems. Then one day the sh*t hits the fan, and there are problems, so a bit of pre-thought doesn't go astray.

When I travelled through Zambia in 1988, just before I was there the borders had been closed for several weeks. The Zambian gov't changed its currency, and closed the borders, in and out, so people were stuck there. Maybe some palm grease would have smoothed an exit, I don't know.

My thoughts about Zimbabwe is that it will continue like it is, until one day there is a change of gov't/leader. Potential for violence whenever that happens. Crossing the border via Vic Falls, or Kariba, or anywhere on the river, or South, probably wouldn't be impossible if the worst happened.

Meanwhile the good and established Zim outfitters continue doing a good job and providing fun and enjoyable safaris, so while some planning is a good idea, personally if I wanted to, I would still consider booking a safari there.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com