BeltedMagnum
(.224 member)
24/02/09 11:09 AM
Re: Need more advice - taxidermy

My experience is that most outfits have a taxidermist that they send the majority of their business through. I was lucky enough to devote a day out of my trip to visiting the shop as it was fairly local and I wrapped things up a little early. Even having visited the shop and telling them exactly what I wanted in person, there was still a slight mistake that they had to correct before they shipped. My father had european mounts for his trophies and was a little disappointed with the quality of the wood plaques. This same outfit mounted a friend's extended shoulder mounts and they are the best I have ever seen. It should also be noted that they shipped my father's gemsbok with the horns glued on reversed "right on left, left on right" in an awkward V. I wouldn't be apposed to having them done again their, but I'd be as specific as possible and if possible request they send you e-mails with pics to ensure everything is as promised. Shipping by air is pricey as heck, but that is the route I went.

The customs on our side was a nightmare the first time we went through it, so do your homework. I had to provide the names of the items in latin genus species and such and if by chance a warthog is on your list, both my Father and myself ran into additional requirements. Seems you need to "know a guy" for it to go smoothly, due to it being a pig. It took us almost a week of calling here and there the first time through it. Heck even the reproduced fiberglass Rhino horn turned into a bit of a run around. Anyone else run into issues with warthog imports?

Belted

Contact Us NitroExpress.com