Ripp
(.577 member)
22/01/09 12:04 PM
Re: plains game rifle

Quote:

Thanks guys, you all have given me some things to consider in the year or so untill I depart. One thing I'd like to ask though is about barnes TSX bullets, and would they be any good for what I want? I can go to 250 grains if needed and Barnes say that if useing these bullets to drop back a weight. With the 225's I managed to shoot one through 4 feet of dead dry local hardwood ( mountain Ash for any Aussies) and had a sizeable exit, and saw the puff of dust 100 yards further down the valley where the bullet hit the ground.

Thanks again

Steve

Steve,

My personal opinion, the TSX will be fine, in fact, may be ideal what you are doing..in that it will not explode on the smaller antelope species, and yet, on the heavier game, has enough power and energy to handle anything you come across in regards to the antelope species...personally, I have shot between 50 and 60 antelope species in Africa with a 300 Ultra-mag--previous trips I have used a 180 Gr bullet---on the last trip I moved to a heavier bullet..200 Gr A-Frame..and was very glad I had..most if not all shots will be 200 yards or less..and usually less..there is the exception if you hunt in Namibia or South Africa..you can encounter some longer..

If you are shooting comfortably with the 250's I would leave them...if you want to play around --then by all means try the .225's..either way, you will be fine ...

In my opinion...the .338 caliber is close to being the "perfect" all around plains game gun for Africa...but, hey, that's just me...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com