Der_Jaeger
(.375 member)
17/01/09 09:49 PM
Re: plains game rifle

I guess if we only hunted with rifles that we knew for darn certain would always be in stock in the U.S. and abroad, we would be limited to the .270 Win, .30-30, .30-06, 9.3x74R, .375H&H, .404 jeffrey, .416 Rigby, and the .458 Win Mag. Throw in a couple of the 6.5s and you'd have it covered. However, even these common calibers cannot be found everywhere and even if they are in stock somewhere, you may not have the means to get to it. The old cliche that you can walk into any General Store in the U.S. and find ammo in the .30-30 and .30-06 is simply not true. Even if they did have it, it would not be in the same configuration that performs best in your rifle.

My point is that it sure wouldn't be fun to be limited to only the commonly stocked calibers that may or may not be in stock wherever it is we plan to hunt. Even though it brings with it a little greater risk, I'm a believer in hunting with the rifle and caliber you have the most confidence in and the most passion for. Now, I may bring a second rifle in a more common caliber, but that's beside the point.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com