xausa
(.400 member)
07/01/09 02:55 AM
Re: Eland 'Medicine'

We were out in a high desert/plain area of Kenya, treeless, with only the occasional bush, when we saw an eland bull coming across our front from the right, angling away toward the left. Evidently there was a water hole of sorts he was heading for, because he paused when he reached it. The range was about 225 yards.

There was too much undergrowth to use either the prone or kneeling position, so I eased myself down across a big thorn bush. The thought crossed my mind that it was like those World War I movies, where one soldier lies down across the barbed wire apron so his comrades can use him as a bridge. Well, I had no comrades, so it wan't nearly as painful and surprisingly good support, if a little springy.

I was using my Krieghoff O/U DR in .375 H&H with a 3X Lyman All American scope, 300 grain Silvertip factory loads. I aimed for the shoulder and fired, producing no immediate effect, except that he turned to his right and started away, leaving only a "Texas brain shot" up the rear. I fired again, he went down. When we got to him, he was dead from the first shot, which had gone straight through the boiler room and stopped under the skin on the off side. The second shot had shattered the left ball joint of the pelvis and the bullet, nicely expanded, was recovered from the socket.

Later on we came across a very sick and emiciated old eland bull, which my PH asked me to put down, which I did, again with the .375. One shot did the trick.

Nothing I shot with that .375, which included in addition lion, leopard, greater and lesser kudu, moved more than a few steps from the spot where he was standing when the bullet struck him.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com