tophet1
(.400 member)
05/12/08 04:44 PM
Re: Cholera strikes Zimbabwe

I did see some TV footage from Harare but failed to see any whites involved. It wasn't very long footage however.

From what we saw whilst in Bulawayo for five days, before heading out on our own for ten days in Hwange and Vic Falls, most people were too busy trying to feed themselves.

I'm planning to go back in 18 months and hunt there. The place has certainly gone down the drain but the kids got to see a world that not many see and they are now certainly glad they are Australians.

It's interesting that cholera is getting such a huge coverage when HIV and Aids has been around a lot longer and is so much more prevalent in RSA and Zim.

Edit.: I guess the reason we felt not so safe in RSA was due to the economic disparity between the minority whites and the black africans. We felt like we were the white mice surrounded by the lions. It was not a feeling we experienced in Zimbabwe at all. The other thing that really struck my wife and I was the vast decrease in numbers of middle class, educated, white collar whites. They all seem to have taken off overseas. This was very apparent compared to our last visit in 1992.

I'm not going to try and predict what will happen in Zim or RSA, all I can give are my impressions as a visitor who has been going to southern Africa over a period of 22 years.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com