9.3x57
(.450 member)
13/10/08 02:14 AM
Re: 7x57 on plains game

Quote:

Quote:

You must be carfull with those long 175gr X bullets as a friend of mine tryed them with his Sako 7x64 and found they were not stabalizing and hiting the target side on.

Perhaps the combo of twist rate and higher velocity of the 7 x 64 changes the dynamics for a 170/5gr bullet and causes this? From everything I've read that is the ideal weight range in the 7 x 57 and I've no doubt that this is what has made them so remarkebly effective even on the largest (including elephant!) of game. I have no doubt that the "long-for-calibre" bullet, at moderate velocity is ensuring deep, straight line penetration. The moderate velocity is also forgiving on "less-than-premium" bullets (not that I'm advocating their use)

All in all, I'd say that the 7 x 57 could be contender for the "least badmouthed" calibre ever. And with good reason!

Higher vecity will increase stability, not decrease it.

I've found that on game the size of whitetails and the two large cow elk I've shot with the 7x57 and the one bull my son shot with it, Remington Core-Lokt 150 "less-than-premium" bullets worked very well indeed. I'd highly recommend them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com