JPK
(.375 member)
08/10/08 04:30 AM
Re: .577 Nitro express effectivness

Quote:

Quote:

I have no experience hunting elephants, but Taylor's assertions about this or that round stunning an elephant for this or that amount of time have been the kingpins in my personal belief that he was for the most part a fraud.

I have stunned elephants by missing their brain with a 500 NE. Several times. I also knocked one flat on its ass with a 505 Gibbs to the head, but the elephant was back up in a flash.

And I was there when an elephant got away with two .375 H&H solids through the head, and never flinched or paused.

I have dropped a couple of elephants with missed brain shots. Reaction varried from down and struggling to rise to absolutely out cold with the only sign of life eye reaction to the touch.

I killed one elephant with a missed brain shot that passed about an inch and a half over the brain. The elephant froze and its eyes went absolutely blank, then it shuddered and fell over like the dead weight it was.

A couple of elephants on which I missed the brain shot failed to fall. Missed by a good bit on these.

Bulls are more imune from any effect of a missed shot, in my experience.

Cartridge was 458wm.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com