JPK
(.375 member)
23/09/08 03:53 AM
Re: Elephant brain shot placement (with pics)

Keep in mind that the challenge of braining an elephant isn't hitting a =/- 6" oblong disk (frontal) or American football sized target (side) at 10 or 20 yards.

The challenge is hitting that disk when its anywhere from 12" to 3' plus behind the point of impact and moving, likewise that football, though a side brain shot is much easier. The apparent motion of the brain at close quarters is significant. Considerably more significant is the apparent motion of the point of impact on the head for a frontal brain shot when the elephant raises or lowers it's head or turns it's head, especially when the whole of the elephant is also moving.

It's been the motion that has caused me the greatest challenge. "Seeing" the brain itself, through the elephant, as the elephant moves, described by Richard Harland in "Ndlovu", is something that I have yet to acheive.

Pushing your approach as close as you can, until the elephant is turning to you and often moving, which I find to be the most incredible experience in the hunt, also makes your shot a heck of a lot more difficult. Standing off even twenty or thirty yards, with plenty of time, and shooting a stationary and unaware elephant isn't the same challenge as approaching until the elephant turns to you at twelve or ten or whatever and you need to mount your rifle and shoot immeadiately.

Buzz Charlton's first DVD is pretty good at showing shot placement on some turning or moving elephants, btw.

JPK

Contact Us NitroExpress.com