shakari
(.400 member)
22/09/08 05:08 PM
Re: More on lions in the pen

Personally I think it's an abhorrant practice and the people who are involved in it, including the customers, should be ashamed of themselves.

I think the issues go a lot deeper than many people think. The antis are always gonna be out to ban hunting in all its forms and one of our best defenses is that we hunt ethically and use hunting as a conservation tool. All the while canned hunting is available, they can use it as a weapon against us to get not only that but also other forms of hunting banned. Therefore, the the sooner we ban it for ethical reasons, the better it'll be for all of us.

The practicalities of banning it however are difficult. First of all, how do you define canned hunting? - Once you have a set definition then the Lion farmers will be trying to get around it and even if you do ban the practice, you can bet your life a large number of large wooden crates will be finding their way across borders etc. - These blokes can hardly be trusted to behave ethically can they.........

As for genetic diversity, I don't really think that is a valid argument. Firstly, the 'canned genes' are outside of the wild pool and modern technology now means we can keep the genetic diversity in a frozen test tube.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com