Ripp
(.577 member)
26/08/08 09:11 PM
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied?

In my experiences, agree with what others have posted here...the first buffalo I shot we had actually chased and tracked for about 3 hours..finally got a good shot into him..he ran about 80 yards and stopped..we we closed on him he turned and (bad for him) ran into a clearing when I fired 2 solids in the north end of his south bound body..he tipped over...fired an insurance shot from about 30 yards..he layed there..when we got within 5 yards...he got to his from feet --fortunately I got another solid in his spine and that was that...The second one was shot at about 70 yards while he was feeding..he ran about 60 yards and stopped,,,then tipped over..shot again (paying the insurance) but that was that...very similar with the 3rd cape buffalo I shot as well...

Yet, a very good friend of mine who is an artist, had one of his friends get killed by a buffalo blowing out of some reeds while on a walk with his wife..Simon Combs was his name...then you have the outfitter from Canada that was also killed a couple years back while they were checking kudu tracks by a water hole...believe that one was wounded ---or Ms. Atchinson..a booking company here that was put in medical care for about 6 months because she wounded him and he got her before her, her husband or the PH could get another round in him...totally agree, typically if given enough space they will head the other direction..the thing everyone needs to remember..they are ANIMALS, and as such, can never be trusted...you never know what they will do...I grew up on a farm..we had everything from dogs, to bulls to calves raise hell through the years..some without any provocation what so ever..

As to while game--IMHO, elephant are much more dangerous and MUCH less willing to head the other direction...have been within very close distance of lions, buffalo, hippo and elephant..while hippo are also very dangerous, again, IMHO, the elephant is the champ, especially tuskless cows...have seen them rip trees and brush from the ground and throw them our way just for being in the area...an awesome experience and one I HOPE to do again, hopefully sooner than later...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com