9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/08/08 12:07 AM
Re: are buffalo always yellow-bellied?

Larcher, taken seriously, this is actually a great topic for discussion.

I have never hunted them. My only experience with them was in the Congo where they took flight from us like shot-at ducks when we were bird and monkey hunting. with only a shotgun in my hand I never felt really concerned about them at all.

I expect to read a bunch of hairy-chest-beating here, but seriously, I suspect like with many animals, stealth {read: "slow approach", whether hunting or not} may be challenged whereas a fast approach may cause flight.

I've had bear stand their ground while I was still hunting deer and walked up unexpectedly with the wind "in my favor", and run away when I was walking briskly. Ditto cattle, where I've been flat-out attacked by mean cows and bulls when working in and among them, yet they always seem to take off when I "get the jump on them" and drive them away by purposefully spooking them.

Add cows with calves and you have another element of variety to the mix.

Critters are similar in many regards, but I will be very interested to read some thoughtful responses here by fellows with lots of experience hunting African buffalo.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com