Bwana
(.224 member)
19/08/08 10:17 PM
Re: Your next Big Hunt/Safari?? Where, When??

I just returned from South Africa yesterday from a Safari/Tour with my wife, son and daughter. I just wanted to offer a few words of warning to anyone flying South African Airlines.

While checking in the firearms and luggage at the SAA counter for the trip home, the woman told me that ammunition was not allowed in checked baggage. I told her that it WAS allowed as long as it was boxed and I showed her the SAA policy which I carry with me. I also told her that this was the same way I carried it in May when I was there, and also the same way I brought the ammo to Africa, and had no problems. She discussed it with her fellow workers in their native tongue and told me that I was wrong. I then pointed out the sign attached to the check-in counter which said that ammunition WAS allowed in checked baggage as long as it was boxed. She then told me to take it to the SAPS firearm office and ask them about it while they cleared my rifles.

When I went to the firearms office, they told me the same thing as the lady at the counter. They then said that it would be O.K. to put the ammo in the cases with my rifles, which I knew was clearly wrong. I then pulled out my ammunition which was in a hard, plastic box inside my luggage and they said I should just check the box. Thankfully, I had the key to the locks with me and just checked the box.

This was a frustrating end to a fantastic trip. It's a shame that the incompetency in Africa is so prevalent. Trust me, none of those employees are in danger of losing their jobs.

I really am not crazy about flying SAA anymore, but unfortunately, leaving from Detroit, it is the quickest way to get to South Africa.

Bwana

Contact Us NitroExpress.com