Ripp
(.577 member)
12/08/08 10:59 PM
Re: Buff/Croc/Hippo hunt-What rifle?

As to handloads---I have used ONLY handloads for probably the last 15 to 20 years...especially for ALL the hunts I have gone on in far away places...I really do and would rather trust myself any day of the week than someone punching a clock...

I have had numerous factory loads in my lifetime that have not worked..I have even had a box of factory that had the bullet loaded upside down in the case..yes, upside down.. ,knock on wood, but as of now, have not had a handload fail me when I needed it most...however I pay very close attention to all I do when I am loading for an upcoming hunt.

Hoppdoc, as to factory loads for a .416 Remington caliber rifle..Remington actually loads their "safari" series with 400 Gr A-Frames as well that shoot really well in both of my .416 rifles..of which one is a Remington Custom shop gun...the other is a custom built on a mauser action and Shneider barrel...anyway..they both shoot well, but honestly, and it kills me to say this because I have 4x's the money in the custom gun, but the Remington custom shop rilfe shoots better no matter what load I come up with, than the expensive custom rifle...sad but true commentary...

I know Norma is loading for the .416 as well as several others out there--if you choose factory ammo I am sure you can find one or another that will shoot good in yours as well..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com