Ripp
(.577 member)
10/08/08 02:16 AM
Re: Buff/Croc/Hippo hunt-What rifle?

Agree with the above--as to hippo--you want to shoot him on land or in the water??

If you only wanted to bring one gun I would take a .375--Ruger or H&H...both good and will do a great job --

I did the hunt you described a short time ago..used my scoped custom .300 Ultra-mag for Croc and Hippo shooting 200 gr A-Frames...One shot each...no problems what so ever--the hippo was in about 20 ft of water the croc in about 1.5 feet...the hippo dropped to the shot and popped back up a few hours later...the croc, with the brain shot, actually pushed himself further on shore from reflexes after the shot...

For a two gun combo and the animals you described...I would not hesitate again to go back with the same I took...416 Remington Caliber and 300 Ultra-mag...The .416 is more than adequate for everything up to and including elephant..which also dropped with one .416 Barnes solid to the brain..plus most shots are under 100 yards..

Having said that and depending on WHERE I was hunting...If I went back to Chewore North, I would leave my 300 at home..take a .375 for my light gun and maybe take my .470 double...or one of the .416's for a second gun...the reason for his is that almost every day we were out hiking, we would run into elephant in the bush...the .300 seems aweful small when you are 20 yards from a 5 ton animal...With the heavy brush, which in turns give you generally close shots...the .375 would be perfect..and still have enough energy to get you out of trouble should the need arise..We ran into lion and buffalo as well while hiking probably 5 or 6 times...The area had a lot of dangerous game..and IMHO, no place for anything less than a .375. One morning while hiking into a hyena blind--we were charged to within 8 yards by a tuskless cow who had a calf with her..in total darkness..I was carrying my 300 --that is when I decided that when I go back --.375 will be the minimum I go with..

On the croc and hippo both, the shots were under 100 yards--if you practice at all, this is a very do-able shot...with most calibers and especially with a .375..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com