bigmaxx
(.375 member)
09/08/08 10:37 PM
Re: Buff/Croc/Hippo hunt-What rifle?

Hoppdoc, I dont have a double rifle yet. My choices were simple, buy a nice double rifle, OR go to Africa. Not Both. So I am using the M77 Magnum in .458 lott for my buffalo hunting. I was going to take a .30-06 or .300 magnum for the rest of my shooting. The guys on NITROEXPRESS FORUMS quickly schooled me on the dangers of carrying a rifle that wont stop a charge from one of dangerous game species if hunting an area where they are present. For that reason I am choosing to take my Ruger Hawkeye African. I consider the .375 ruger equal to the H&H. Not necessarily better or worse. I would consider using the .375 as your "light" rifle. My choice of the .375 ruger was due to availability of nice safari rifles in KY! Not alot of choices. I am quite happy with it due to the fact I hunt almost exclusively with M77s. Thats neither here nor there though. I have a Zeis Conquest 2.5-8X32 on it for plains game, and carry a spare zeroed Leupold VXIII 1.5-5X20 with heavy duplex crosshairs in the event I choose, or HAVE to use it on dangerous game due to failure of the other rifle. Thats pretty unlikely. But after alot of reloading and practice I think I can hit whatever I need to with the .375 ruger. I am loading the .300 grain A-Frames for plainsgame hunting. I would think it would be a great choice for shooting crocodile, in the H&H or ruger. I used a lot of practice techniques I got from you guys. Maybe the most useful being some upper body strench train at the local gym. Worked wonders. I think you suggrested that! Now I find it comfortable to shoot it twenty or thirty times per session. The .458 lott I try to limit to ten to fifteen. Have done more but I dont want to risk a flinch. Hope that helps you. Might just me a bunch of rambling. But I really like the .375 now. I may add a rifle in H&H someday.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com