Ripp
(.577 member)
10/06/08 07:13 PM
Re: 2008 Zim Safari

93Mouse--I hunted for 18 days...actually about 15--the last three we fished and finishing editing the filming..

As to the conditions in Zim..now more than ever I believe we need to continue to support the people still on the gound--IMHO..without us all will be lost with the biggest losers being the wildlife..we come across a bull elephant that had apparently be shot by poachers as he was riddled with bullets and must have gotten away and died later..tragic story..

Everything you read about in areas where there are no longer hunting concessions, the wildlife takes the brunt of the hit..even look at Kenya--who has had NO hunting since 1978--and yet their elephant populations have decreased by over a 1/3...yet in hunting countries like Zim, Botswana, Tanzania..the populations are bursting in some areas...

The policitical situation there will never get better until "Bob" is no longer in power--hopefully that will be sooner than later and by whatever means..he has completely ruined one of the most beatiful countries in Africa..

When I first got there the currency exchange rate was $1.US to $650,000,000. Zim dollars (yes, that is 650 million)...by the time I left it had grown to $1.3 billion...Zim is now issuing Billion dollar notes..one billion Zim dollars buys a Coke...Now there is progress... ..
and for what??? the answer is greed...Sad but true story...

Having said that, I can NOT believe the good outlook the Zim people still have..makes one very humble after witnessing that...if that place ever does turn around a bit I would seriously think of buying a place there for a portion of the year...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com