peter
(removed)
21/03/08 08:29 AM
IM GOING TO AFRICA IN AUG

yes im going to southafrica in aug. on my first safari.

i won a competition over on AR and that pushed my plans of hunting africa in the future up in real time.

i will go with infinito safaries after PG, so now it is my time to ask real stupid questions , that all you oldtimers have allready answered a million times.

i will keep you informed as i progress down the line.

best regards

peter

Nakihunter
(.375 member)
21/03/08 09:49 AM
Re: IM GOING TO AFRICA IN AUG

Congratulations Peter. What rifles are you planning on taking? I wish I could do a trip like that. Good luck.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
21/03/08 11:14 AM

Gratulasjon!!

Where in SA will you be hunting?

Delightful time of year there. You will enjoy yourself!

88MauSporter
(.375 member)
21/03/08 11:33 AM

WOW!!, what a prize. I wish I was going as well!
I can't wait to here more of the plans and what you will hunt and with what.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/03/08 06:59 PM

Peter

Good luck and have fun.

Quote:

so now it is my time to ask real stupid questions

Tell us more about your safari prize and what you know about it. How many days do you get? What do extra days cost? What game animals are included? Other game that you are interested in? What region/area are you hunting? Fenced or free range?

peter
(removed)
22/03/08 05:20 AM

the prize is 5 days PG at 150$ in dayfees instead of 350$, extra days at normal rate

also in the prize is a impala or a blesbuck free of charge, other animals according to price list

this is my first trip, so i will see what animals might present themself. but i will need a warthog or two, im really facinated with that animal.

i think that the 9,3x74r will get the nod, it seems like the right caliber to bring for plains game, and im fortunate enough to be abel to hunt africa with a dbl. rifle. hhmmmm the stuff that dreams are made of.

im still not sure about the area, will know later and tell you at once.

it will be free range.

im really excited about this, thankfully bramble will bring me my guns from the varius auctions wensday so i will have something to distract me while i wait.

best to you all

peter

Kalunga
(.333 member)
22/03/08 08:35 AM

Poor Peter ! I guess you will be infected by the African hunting fever, or rather You got it already ! This infection is usually uncurable and the only relief is to go back again and again. And I can tell You that hunting with a 9,3x74R double makes it even worse ! Enjoy it to the fullest ! Best wishes from an infected hunter.

Kalunga

"The buffalo is essentially bad news." P.H.Capstick

BFaucett
(.333 member)
22/03/08 09:48 AM

“We get three sorts and periods of enjoyment out of a hunting trip. The first is when the plans are being discussed and the outfit assembled; this is the pleasure of anticipation. The second is the enjoyment of the actual trip itself; and the third is the pleasure of retrospection when we sit round a blazing wood-fire and talk over the incidents and adventures of the trip. There is no general rule to know which of the three gives the keenest joy.”
-- Kermit Roosevelt, The Happy Hunting-Grounds, 1920.
(son of Theodore Roosevelt and companion on his father’s 1909 African safari)

Congrats Peter!! I predict that you will have a wonderful time.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
22/03/08 10:15 AM

Oh no there goes Africa!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/03/08 11:11 AM

Quote:

i think that the 9,3x74r will get the nod, it seems like the right caliber to bring for plains game, and im fortunate enough to be abel to hunt africa with a dbl. rifle. hhmmmm the stuff that dreams are made of.

If the hunting area is a lot of bushveld a double will work well. If more open country do you have a scope for it? Otherwise a bolt action as well might be handy.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
22/03/08 04:04 PM

August!!!! You do understand that August is the dead of winter down here.

When I came down and hunted in July 2002 we had snow. Rare and unusal. My PH who was 35 years old and lived in area all his life had seen snow up on the mountain tops before, but had never seen snow on the valley floor, we had 8 inches. We were also hunting at pretty high altitude. I would bring a set of longjohns and warm gloves. You won't need them if you have them. If you leave them home you will need them.

In talking to various PH's down here in SA they all have the same complaint. Americans tend to show up over gunned. We all have read for years in the Rags that the minumum African caliber is the .375 H&H. That is the Mantra. Most hunters who show up with the big guns have little experience with them and can't shoot them. They would be better served by showing up with their standard deer and elk rifle.

A basic South African Plains game hunt is going involve Springbok, blesbuck, impala and Kudu and maybe wildebeest or Gemsbok. They are the most common.

The impala is about the size of a Whitetail deer, not as big as a Mule deer. The kudu is the size of a cow elk. Wildebeest are about the same size as impala, body shape a bit bulkier. Gemsbok in the same size class as Kudu. The rest are smaller than the Impala.

If you shoot the 9.3 x 74R on a regular basis and can shoot it well, and if you have used it for hunting and taking deer and elk then by all means take it.

If not take your 30 cal deer rifle or .338 cal elk rifle. They will be plenty of gun. Most of the locals that I have run into down here hunting are using .308 or .303's.

I took Steenbok and Springbok with the 218 Bee in a Martini. Won't use it again on Springbok size animals.

Took wildebeest, impala and Mt Reedbuck with my .338/308

Took kudu with the .338/308 and the 577/450 Martini with lead bullets. With the Martini shoot completely through a Kudu port to starboard, aft to bow.

peter
(removed)
22/03/08 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If the hunting area is a lot of bushveld a double will work well. If more open country do you have a scope for it? Otherwise a bolt action as well might be handy.

john

the heutier will be scoped as soon as it arrives, i have been told that the place is the limpopo province.

they got a small flick of the camp and area, it looks like dbl rifle land to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJo30VQvSpU

thank you all for the good wishes

DD: im from denmark, i dont mind snow i just want to hunt.

best to you all

peter

9.3x57
(.450 member)
22/03/08 11:23 PM

Peter, you will love the weather in almost the entire country in August. That's the reason I mentioned it. Even on the east coast of Natal it is much cooler in the winter at night, but days are warm. In OVS it can get quite chilly at night, ditto parts of the Karoo and the mountainous areas of Natal, too. Where I lived in the Karkloof Mt's it snowed just a smidgen and hard frosts were common.

Up where it looks like you will be heading, cold won't be a problem. A Norseman like you will be stripping down near butt naked by 11:00 in the morning. I can just see you now, in loincloth and sandals while your pro is wrapped up in a parka!!

As for rifles, where I lived the locals shot .308's, .243's and .303's almost to a man. Some had never even seen a .375. Ammo for such rounds was terribly expenive even then.

As an aside, the .243 was TREMENDOUSLY popular with South Africans all throughout the country when I was there. That was 20 years ago. I wonder if it has gained even more ground now? Maybe a South African can weigh in here. There aren't too many PG critters a .243 won't kill fast, and folks there had a very practical view of shootin irons in-general.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
23/03/08 03:51 AM

if you are going to Limpopo you won't need the long johns. I was in the high mountians of the western part of Eastern Cape Province.

peter
(removed)
23/03/08 03:55 AM

wouldnt that be a sight

me butt naked except hat dbl. rifle and boots, i think sinner is right, there goes africa....

i will bring the dbl rifle i shoot the best, we will just have to wait and see which one it is.

best regards

peter

9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/03/08 04:19 AM

Quote:

i will bring the dbl rifle i shoot the best

THAT is a great plan.

Keep us posted as you shoot and load, which by the way, will you handload or be shooting factory ammo?

peter
(removed)
23/03/08 04:52 AM

hand loading for the 450/400 3" , factory fodder and handloads for the 9,3x74r

best regards

peter

88MauSporter
(.375 member)
23/03/08 10:23 AM

Classic choice. Can't wait to see and hear the report.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
23/03/08 01:01 PM

Wildebeest are about the same size as impala, body shape a bit bulkier.

DoubleD - I'm not trying to stir anything up here, but Blue Wildebeest are much larger than an Impala: well in excess of 350 pounds, while a male Impala will run @ 125 and a bit more. The Black Wildebeest will weight in between 200- 300 pounds. Your choices of caliber are good. A 30:06 with a well constructed premium bullet of 180 or 200 grains will take down any plains game available.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/03/08 01:30 PM

Gotta be just a typo, Mike. As you say, blouwildebees are A LOT bigger than rooibok.

My bull wildebeest was about the size of a spike elk or a very big cow elk. My biggest impala isn't even close to the size of my biggest whitetail. Not even close. Impala are lightboned almost dainty critters.

Burger Cillié's "Mammals of Southern Africa" has males of the species as follows:

Impala; 103-180 lb
Black Wildebeest; +- 400 lb
Blue Wildebeest; 506-600 lb

I've never shot a blackwildebeest, but the numbers on the other two seem quite right for the ones I shot.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
23/03/08 07:09 PM

The Impala we killed were all around 145 or so. That is 60 to 65 KG's is it not. That's what the scales at the Outfitter farms said when the game was hung up.

I have killed bigger whitetail and definitely larger Mulies but not on the average. I expected the Impala to be smaller than they were. I have a data base that I keep in excel on the deer we took in Montana and the Buck deer average for all male deer was right around 145 lb. The largest Oregon Blacktail I ever took weighed 145.

Now as far as weights, the African game was weighed whole while the American animals were all field dressed.

Indeed the Black Wildebeest were heavier and bulkier than the impala but they weren't bigger. They were shorter bodied but more compact for sure. Scaled at 95 to 100 kg.

The Blues we saw did looked bigger, but they weren't as big as the Kudu. I have only seen them on the hoof and not side by side with an elk. I did se a bunch that we spooked move of the flat and through stream bed and across to another open flat. The kick a kudu bull out of the stream bottom as they went tthrough...where the hell did he come for. So I saw the two in close proximatey

The Kudu definitly were cow or spike elk sized. But we weren't at the farm with the scale to weigh them.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
23/03/08 07:27 PM

Here's some pictures.

These are not big animals, but they are my animals!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/03/08 03:17 PM

Quote:

DD: im from denmark, i dont mind snow i just want to hunt.

Limpopo can be quite warm in August. First thing in the morning at dawn it will be chilly on the bakkie. A coat might be needed plus hat etc. Cool for the first walk. By mid-morning it will have warmed up and won't be carrying the coat anymore. Evenings by the campfire will be coolish, but nothing a Dane will feel coming South.

Clear nights in Southern winters can get down to frosty conditions of course given enough moisture.

Grenadier
(.375 member)
31/03/08 12:42 PM

Quote:

i won a competition over on AR

What is AR?

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
31/03/08 08:12 PM

I would be more than comfortable with the 9.3 Double in Limpopo. I haven't hunted there, but have passed through on occasion and taken a few detours to "scout" around! From what I have seen the bush can be quite thick around there and the ranges shouldn't be too long. I bet you can't wait for that trip!

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
31/03/08 09:01 PM

Peter,

What species have you decided to hunt? Perhaps I missesd it but which province are you hunting?

peter
(removed)
31/03/08 10:51 PM

the province is the limpopo.

and i hope for:

gemsbuck
blesbuck
impala
warthog
baboon

that should be 5 fun days, we will see what i get and dont get.

AR=accurate reloading

best regards

peter

450_366
(.400 member)
01/04/08 06:45 AM

Congratulations, I wish I was that lucky. When in august will you hunt there?

peter
(removed)
01/04/08 08:06 AM

from the 21-27 of aug.

450_366
(.400 member)
01/04/08 05:26 PM

So then I will be there 2 weeks earlier. My first trip to africa as well.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
02/04/08 01:31 AM

A 6 day safari? That doesn't allow you much time at all.

peter
(removed)
02/04/08 02:42 AM

i know, but to be honest i really even dont have time for those days(you know about time robbing projects), but decided to go anyway.
this will give me a small taste of africa, so i can decide if i like it or not.

best regards

peter

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
02/04/08 06:59 AM

Well thats ok bro, just plan well now with your outfitter so you can roll out quick.

Have you read any material on what to expect there, and the proper gear you will need?

"In the Salt" is an excellent book for the first time Safari guy..

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
02/04/08 05:06 PM

I read "In the Salt" as well. I'm off to Africa in Oct this year. I thought it was excellent and also entertaining. best, Mike

peter
(removed)
02/04/08 07:15 PM

Quote:

Well thats ok bro, just plan well now with your outfitter so you can roll out quick.

Have you read any material on what to expect there, and the proper gear you will need?

i will get that book asap.

regarding gear, im told to bring 2 sets of clothing and my gun(which ever that will be )
and that should do it nicely, that suits me fine i like to travel light and dont need a lot of stuff to weigh me down.

this is my list so far:

2 sets of clothing
2 pair of well worn boots
wide brimed hat
the gun that might be the 9,3x74r with a QR scope on it
a knife(im nordic so dont leave home without it)
bino (zeiss 8x25)
ammo (plenty of that)
money(if you need something special buy it on location)

9.3x57
(.450 member)
02/04/08 11:16 PM

Peter, you spend a lot of time outdoors and by August in Sjælland you might have a tan enough, but I'd recommend some sunscreen, too. Just to be safe. We of Scandihoovian descent can't ever be too careful!

peter
(removed)
02/04/08 11:34 PM

but of course

i get burned in a heart beat, so factor 10.000 is allways with me. but thanks for reminding me

best regards

peter

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
03/04/08 02:07 AM

You forgot the most important thing, single malt scotch!

peter
(removed)
03/04/08 02:12 AM

frederik told me that they were fully stocked in that area, if not then it will be my last safari with them

best regards

peter

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
03/04/08 02:27 AM

That's the attitude my boy!

peter
(removed)
03/04/08 03:13 AM

actually im not much of a drinking man. the reason is that i could be the poster child for the remark. INSTANT ASSHOLE, JUST ADD ALCOHOL.
knowing this im very careful about my drinking. but i do love single malt and good mead

best regards

peter

bigmaxx
(.375 member)
21/04/08 01:49 PM

I am going to Chewore in August too. We are lucky guys. I even got a great rate on airfare. I am returning on 9/11! Maybe me and the pilot will be the only ones on the plane....LOL!!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/04/08 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i will get that book asap.

regarding gear, im told to bring 2 sets of clothing and my gun(which ever that will be )
and that should do it nicely, that suits me fine i like to travel light and dont need a lot of stuff to weigh me down.

this is my list so far:

2 sets of clothing
2 pair of well worn boots
wide brimed hat
the gun that might be the 9,3x74r with a QR scope on it
a knife(im nordic so dont leave home without it)
bino (zeiss 8x25)
ammo (plenty of that)
money(if you need something special buy it on location)

Some other things to consider:

Head mosquito net - good for keeping the bugs off if they are a problem when having a lunch time siesta under a tree in the bush

Re boots. I always take a hunting pair, and another pair which are more for camp or town, but which will double up for hunting if needed. Most outfitters do not recommend heavy soled hunting boots. Soft quiet soled boots are better. Ask your outfitter/PH what is a good idea.

Other stuff:
* sun tan lotion
* bug repellant
* sun glasses - also good for open vehicles if bugs, thorny branches
* warm coat if needed for early mornings, at night etc
* camera - we will be endless harpies on you if you don't post any photos! + batteries, charger, film etc
* medications including anti-malarial if needed - I carry anti-allergy type pills as well - actually in my luggage I carry a travellers tropical diseases type kit, including spare syringes etc into any third world country
* water bottles
* day pack - someone may carry these for you anyway - good for carrying stuff needed in the vehicle anyway
* novel - for reading during bush siestas or elsewhere

93mouse
(.375 member)
21/04/08 04:58 PM

+ gun case

Ripp
(.577 member)
21/04/08 10:19 PM

Quote:

the province is the limpopo.

and i hope for:

gemsbuck
blesbuck
impala
warthog
baboon

that should be 5 fun days, we will see what i get and dont get.

AR=accurate reloading

best regards

peter

Peter
Do what you wish--but based on the animals you will be hunting and my experience hunting those exact animals in the past on more then one occassion--shooting the blesbok and especially the gemsbok..shots can and tend to be on the longer side for Africa..in addition. gemsbok tend to be unusually tough---shot my last one with a .300 Ultra-mag at a bit over 200 meters..using a 200 gr A-frame--he still ran for over 100 yards before he dropped in the bush..same for the black wdbeast...the ones I have shot were unusually spooky, amazingly tough and quite a bit bigger than any of the implala I have ever shot..and trust me--I have shot impala by the truck load...do what you wish--but if it were me I would take at least one firearm that is a big flatter shooting and scoped...either a 300 or 338 ...

Good luck on your hunt

Ripp

peter
(removed)
22/04/08 12:23 AM

thank you all for the advice and please keep it coming.

ripp you leave me a bit confused, is it the distance 200 yards ? or the caliber 9,3 or 400 ?

best regards

peter

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
22/04/08 12:27 AM

Peter,

When hunting impala look for a buck who's horn tips turn outwards, he's your trophy. On warthog, big boars have noticably big tusks, look for one with a 'big smile'. Impala and warthog are both reasonably priced and I hunt them each time I go over.

Ripp
(.577 member)
22/04/08 12:58 AM

I am merely stating that shots in South can be further than other areas--simply because of terrain and vegetation..at least this has been my experience..therefore if you are taking two guns and if it was me I would take one that "can reach out and touch someone"...

On my next trip I have decided on taking my .416 and .338 --reason for this is--no matter which gun I have in my hands at the time--if the shit hits the fan--either would probably do major damage on whatever I shot..however if a more precise shot is needed..ie; croc laying on a river bank and brain shot is offered--I feel much more capable with it in my hand that the heavy duplex 416--plus (it-(338) will be better suited for the plains game that will be shot for bait and trophies and might be at longer distances---

Again, each to their own..but that it my reasoning on this..

Good luck--look forward to your photos.

Ripp

peter
(removed)
22/04/08 01:12 AM

thanks ripp

i am limiting my self a bit, with the caliber choises, but im weird in that area as well. to me the stalk is everything and if i cant get close enough, i take a mental picture and keep that as the trophy.

if i get any trophys then i will have worked my ass of for them.(as soon as the 9,3 gets home with the scope on i will do a lot of shooting with it also at 200-250 yards, tankfully i can do this at home behind the barn) but i rarly take the first shot at more than 100 yards.

thank you for the clarification

peter

Ripp
(.577 member)
22/04/08 01:40 AM

Remember too--warthogs are tough little buggers--the last one I shot --he was facing me at about 100 yards--drilled him dead center with my .416-he squealed, turned and ran about 60 yards before piling upwe found the bullet under his hide immediately beside his tail...so he took 400 grains from stem to stern and still turned and ran....pretty amazing--

Ripp

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
22/04/08 01:42 AM

Just have fun and soak up the terrain, nothing else really matters on your first trip.

Good hunting!!!

peter
(removed)
22/04/08 02:17 AM

Quote:

Peter,

When hunting impala look for a buck who's horn tips turn outwards, he's your trophy.

ann do you have a picture, to enlighten me. i think i get it but would like to be sure.

thanks

peter

9.3x57
(.450 member)
22/04/08 02:43 AM

Quote:

to me the stalk is everything and if i cant get close enough, i take a mental picture and keep that as the trophy.

I gotta remember that line!

Somebody else can post some big ones, but in the meantime, here's a couple of mine:

93mouse
(.375 member)
22/04/08 04:17 AM

Peter - IMO here is a decent site for hunting/trophy tips:

http://www.safaribwana.com/ANIMALS/indexanml.htm

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
22/04/08 10:16 AM

Peter,

These are from the Limpopo Province, just along the river.

Impala buck, very nice one, not so nice a pic of me....

Real good warthog

Davy
(.224 member)
13/07/08 08:26 AM

Enjoy Peter and do take enough pictures as well! Try to get a kudu as well, they are truly magnificent animals to hunt.

peter
(removed)
29/08/08 04:42 AM

and im home again. pic's in a minute story later.

peter

peter
(removed)
29/08/08 05:30 AM

i hope to get to the story tommorow

a very busted (but happy) NE member

peter

450_366
(.400 member)
29/08/08 06:01 AM

Congratulations, you had a splendid time i see. Wery nice animals, the impala looks quite big.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
29/08/08 08:58 AM

Congrats, Peter!!

Glad you are home safe and sound, with a nice bag to-boot!

I look forward to the vikingsaga!

hoppdoc
(.400 member)
29/08/08 09:34 AM

Congratulations!!

Looks like you had a great time!!

We must hear the story shot by shot!!

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
29/08/08 10:49 AM

Congratulations! I bet you are hooked!

Nakihunter
(.375 member)
29/08/08 02:44 PM

Congratulations. That certainly makes me want to hunt Africa with a double rifle!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com