Will
(.333 member)
08/07/03 08:10 AM
Peep Sights Suck

Since AR is off-line, I might as well try to stip things up here.

My hero John Taylor was eventually converted to a peep sight, and extolled its virtues.

I have tried and tried, but I hate them. It is like peering through a knot hole in a fence board, too much is hidden from view.

I'm sure there are other opinions on this!!

Rick_R
(.300 member)
08/07/03 11:56 AM
Re: Peep Sights Suck

Will,

Which peep sights have you used? I've got the NEGC sights that mount on a Ruger and they give you that "peeping knothole" feeling as do some of the sights that have a large ring with a small hole in the center, but the WWG sights on my Marlin Guide Gun are designed to allow you to look around the peep and accuracy is still adequate.

If you use a sight that allows you to remove the insert and shoot as a "Ghost ring" you should have almost unlimited peripheral vision.

Rick

ovis
(.300 member)
08/07/03 12:23 PM

Will,

I've only got them on my Marlin GG, but shooting with both eyes open seems to be the answer for me. I also have a Trijicon scope on my .375 that I shoot with both eyes open. With a bit of practice, your dominant eye takes over anyway with both open, at least it does for me.............but what do I know?????????????

Joe

mickey
(.416 member)
08/07/03 03:04 PM

Will

I think that you want a ghost ring and not a peep sight, less ring and more space. It is not as accurate but for older eyes is much easier to shoot than a standing leaf type.

AspenHill
(Sponsor)
09/07/03 12:25 AM

I have not tried a peep sight on a rifle, however, there is one on my bowstring and it seems to do the trick to help center one's aim on the target. Probably due to the postitioning as when the bow is drawn the peep is right up near the eye.

Will
(.333 member)
09/07/03 01:24 AM

I should qualify my statement.

I have tried ghost rings, but it doesn't help. It must me a personal preference thing.

Also, I am not looking for pinpoint accuracy. At 25 yards, with the big front white bead and shallow V rear, I can get them to nearly touch, off-hand, which is all I'm after, and probably all I am capable of anyway.

I posted this to reassure the folks that try a peep/ghost and found it was not all that they wanted or was hyped to be. "Open sights" are good enough, at short range, for me.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
09/07/03 03:00 AM

I have an old Williams Peep Sight on a Remington Pump Action Carbine in 30:06 and really like it. I threw away the screw in insert, and painted the ring bright orange. It's great in the brush, and have taken deer in big, open timber out to 200 yards with it.

DaveJames
(.275 member)
09/07/03 03:44 AM

Will,it may be nothing more than what your used to,I shoot with peeps on just about all my rifles,never realy liked the standard irons,except on my pistols,For close in work I find the Ghost ring ideal, for me its almost like point and shoot.

With your irons do shoot with a 6- o-clock hold? That may be whats throwing you off witht he peep

iqbal
(resigned as a member)
09/07/03 03:50 AM

I have a Lyman peepsight on my Remington .22 and it works just fine for me.I believe it's just a matter of getting used to it.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
09/07/03 08:21 AM

Your mention of the 6-o-clock hold was a great reminder. When shooting with a peep sight for hunting, the front sight should never cover the target area.

475Guy
(.400 member)
25/08/03 10:53 AM

Most, if not all, new peep or ghost ring users have never spent any time behind a military rifle or military duty. Seems like all the good reviews are from people who were trained to use peeps from long ago. The real secret to using peeps IS TO LOOK THROUGH IT LIKE A WINDOW. All it takes is practice and most of us have had at least a few thousand rounds of practice who can use it passably and well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com