Just for sharing.
Thansk
Martin

alexbeer
(.333 member)
20/03/09 08:50 AM
Re: Leopard charge.

Holy Cow!!!

I've heard they were fast, but I didn't know they were THAT fast. That leopard was almost impossible to see at normal speed, still blury in slow motion. WOW, I wouldn't want to face that. How was the guy who got nailed?

ALEX

alexbeer.com

DarylS
(.700 member)
20/03/09 10:18 AM

Not a lot of good shooting going on when it was stationary - lots of shooting, though.

iqbal
(resigned as a member)
20/03/09 01:19 PM

That was enough to scare the shit out of you.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
20/03/09 03:30 PM

Quote:

Holy Cow!!!

How was the guy who got nailed?

ALEX

<a href="www.alexbeer.com" target="_blank">alexbeer.com</a>

Still recovering but still hunting. Has to rest his rifle on left hand as he can't clench it yet.

beleg2
(.375 member)
20/03/09 09:38 PM

Good to know he is OK.
Do you know if they use a double rifle or a shotgun?
Thanks
Martin

Ripp
(.577 member)
20/03/09 11:44 PM

As I have posted before--saw one charge a friend of mine once while it was in an enclosure in S Africa..had a run of about 30 ft---fastest moving animal I have ever seen...amazing animal..

Ripp

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
21/03/09 12:33 AM

They should have been using either 10 or 12 gauge guns loaded with 00BUCK.
Gutless bunch of barstards that ran,except for the native with his fighting axe who was prepared to have a go.
Al

ozhunter
(.400 member)
21/03/09 02:12 AM

Quote:

Gutless bunch of barstards that ran,except for the native with his fighting axe who was prepared to have a go.
Al

The only guy running out of the firing lane was a video man, the other guy was getting in position to administer the killing shot.

DuggaBoy
(.300 member)
21/03/09 02:56 AM

So does any one know:

Was the client the double rifle shooter?

ozhunter
(.400 member)
21/03/09 03:24 AM

Quote:

So does any one know:

Was the client the double rifle shooter?

No, from what I was told, he is the concession holder of Omay North.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/03/09 12:13 AM

Wow first time I could view the film. The guy is lucky the leopard was shot in the film just before in the shoulder.

Greased spots!

500Nitro
(.450 member)
22/03/09 08:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Al

The only guy running out of the firing lane was a video man, the other guy was getting in position to administer the killing shot.

That was exactly how I viewed it as well.

albertan
(.333 member)
22/03/09 08:34 AM

I enjoy the posts from the armchair bwanas who profess how to shoot and behave during such an event. Speak to experienced PH's and they will tell you that each one of these fiascos is different. The only advice I got from my PH prior to my lion hunt was to practice a minimum of twice weekly, from all types of positions. In preparation for a lion charge, I was told to get to ground level, and wait for ONE good shot. Two would be an impossibility. As I am well over six feet, shooting over a lion is all too easy during a charge, since they seem to shrink when at full speed.

I practiced dropping and shooting at 10, 15, and 25 yards. Thankfully, I did not have to when the shooting started for real. This is a very tough drill. At first the shooting was not accurate,but it did improve. Afterwards, your lower body (knees and bum) were tender for a few days. They just never seemed to toughen up.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
22/03/09 08:37 AM

albertan

that's what i did, albeit for Buffalo charges here in Aust.

Practised so that I was mentally and physically prepared.

When it came, it all flowed.

I also believe in moving to better position yourself
and keep moving if needed to get a clear shot.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
22/03/09 01:45 PM

Albertan,what is your location,should be listed with your name.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/03/09 03:03 PM

Quote:

Albertan,what is your location,should be listed with your name.

The other reason the guy may have moved his arse is so people have clear shooting paths, miss the guy being attacked and also get out of the way of any bullets path.

It didn't look to me ONE BIT like anyone in the video were running away at all.

albertan
(.333 member)
22/03/09 06:22 PM

The Canadian province of Alberta.

shakari
(.400 member)
22/03/09 06:42 PM

The trick with these situations is to avoid them in the first place. Every PH has his own way of conducting a hunt and my comments aren't meant to imply any criticism, but my own way of doing it works for me and l always have the client rehearse the initial shot, time and time again until I'm completely satisfied the client is gonna get that first shot right.

I use my rangefinders at the blind to measure the exact range AND height from blind to tree and make a note of approximate angle the cat is expected to be at. Then we go to a suitable spot, usually somewhere near the range and always well away from the cat set up.

Then I replicate the shot exactly, put the client in the same sort of chair with the same sort of rifle rests etc. Then I take a suitably sized cardboard box and draw a fullsize Leopard outline on it and fix a small bottled water bottle INSIDE the box where the heart of the cat would be. Then I have the box fixed up in a tree at the same range, height and angle as we can expect on the real thing........ then I sit down beside the client and tell him, he's got all the time in the world and there's absolutely no rush whatsoever, but he needs to decide where the heart of the Leopard is in relation to the outside of the box and then put at least 3 consecutive shots through the 'heart' of the animal. Since I've started using this method, I haven't had to do a single follow up on a wounded Leopard. - Note, I've still had to follow spoor, but every time it's happened, we've found the cat dead within a hundred yards or so. I'm not suggesting every PH should use my method, but it sure as hell works for me.

Let me also say that a follow up at night, is a bloody sight worse experience than a daytime follow up, because you only see the animal at the very last moment.

The right tools for the job make a big difference though. Good spot and headlights are a big help and one of those blue light Surefire Kroma is an absolute Godsend. When you buy that torch (flashlight to you Americans!), you'll think, 'eish, that's a helluva price' but when you have to use it, you'll suddenly realise it's worth it's weight in gold!

I think it was Alan mentioned using a shotgun for the follow up. FWIW, from my (albeit limited) experience, shotgun pellets, no matter what the size etc, don't penetrate the skull or musculature of the chest and are usually found just under the skin.

Also FWIW, I wrote an article on the subject for one of the mags a while ago and if anyone wants to see a copy of it, feel free to e-mail me at shakari3@mweb.co.za and I'll be happy to send you a copy.

Hope that helps

9.3x57
(.450 member)
22/03/09 11:59 PM

Interesting thread.

Shakari; I agree about the shotgun, though I have no experience shooting leopard. I do have experience shooting coyotes, monkey's and stock-chasing dogs with buckshot and the yotes & monks are very lightly-built critters, and I have tested various sizes in my media. I would not trust buckshot in the field for much unless I was absolutely certain the shot would be so close the "cloud" would be a single 12-bore knot, and if that was the case I'd be at no disadvantage with a rifle.

The stuff works on yotes and monks but that is because they are not heavily muscled. Regardless, I've had to pistol some yotes after knocking them down with buckshot. Due to the unreliability of large-size buck patterning, I started using 3-inch mag #4 buckshot and on yotes that worked OK, but then I really don't care if I have to approach a wounded yote that is still doin the kickin' chicken.

Some years ago I shot a pretty stout stray dog with a load of 00. I reckon one or maybe 2 {?}pellet got it, enough to bleed. I tracked the thing for over a half mile through thin snow and mud and dirt and eventually gave up. I had something better to do than waste my time on a dog that just had its mind changed.

Anyway, had it been a furry whirlybird like a leopard, I would not have been pleased.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/03/09 12:50 AM

One more thing Shakari;

You are to be commended for creative-thinking in setting up your shooting "game". Some scoff at such things, but in this day and age when many hunters have very little experience with their hands inside a critter, any such practice is very good lesson-learning.

I have spoken to hunters who really have no idea what is inside an animal. They gut their critter in the field in the dark, paying as little attention to the process as they can because it is "gross" and then get the butcher to do the rest, sometimes including skinning.

My kids grew up under the butchering pole so-to-speak, and were involved in agricultural clubs and such and found all that experience very helpful when they started hunting.

Also, food for thought...

A fellow I know used a US M1 .30 Carbine for years on cougar {"lion" around here} and others I've spoken to also had great things to say about that rifle for cougar hunting. Would probably make a pretty good leopard gun to for followups. Seems anemic, I know, but for close fast shooting, using soft point ammo, the round is deadly, and the guns handle like a good shotgun. I doubt they are available or even legal where the leopard are, but just a thought...

xausa
(.400 member)
23/03/09 01:26 AM

Quote:

Shakari; I agree about the shotgun, though I have no experience shooting leopard. I do have experience shooting coyotes, monkey's and stock-chasing dogs with buckshot and the yotes & monks are very lightly-built critters, and I have tested various sizes in my media.

9.3:

Monkeys? Can you elaborate?

Re: Your comment about the M1 carbine. Audie Murphy, who knew a lot about combat marksmanship, went into action carrying a M1 carbine in his hands and a M1 rifle slung over his shoulder for long shots. John George ("A Rifleman Went To War") was also a fan of the carbine, preferring it to the Thompson SMG for close quarters work.

I would think a Model 92 Winchester in .32-20 or .44-40 or a Model 94 in .44 Magnum would be as good, if not better, and would have the advantage of not being semi-automatic. Both were designed by John Browning, a man who knew a thing or two about stock design for instinctive shooting.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/03/09 01:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Shakari; I agree about the shotgun, though I have no experience shooting leopard. I do have experience shooting coyotes, monkey's and stock-chasing dogs with buckshot and the yotes & monks are very lightly-built critters, and I have tested various sizes in my media.

9.3:

Monkeys? Can you elaborate?

Re: Your comment about the M1 carbine. Audie Murphy, who knew a lot about combat marksmanship, went into action carrying a M1 carbine in his hands and a M1 rifle slung over his shoulder for long shots. John George ("A Rifleman Went To War") was also a fan of the carbine, preferring it to the Thompson SMG for close quarters work.

I would think a Model 92 Winchester in .32-20 or .44-40 or a Model 94 in .44 Magnum would be as good, if not better, and would have the advantage of not being semi-automatic. Both were designed by John Browning, a man who knew a thing or two about stock design for instinctive shooting.

Monks as in red colubus in Congo almost 30 years ago.

Xausa, George's book is "Shots Fired in Anger". "A Rifleman went to War" was written by McBride.

Others liked the carbine, too. The great classic "The Jungle is Neutral", by F Spencer Chapman, DSO includes his very positive opinions of the carbine when they were dropped to guerilla groups in Malaya late in the war. Considered superb tools for hunting pigs, even with the FMJ ammo, he says few were handed in after the war was over. The handiness, lethality and the fact that all ammo made for them was NON-corrosive made them very appealing to jungle dwellers.

That tome is a must-read and still serves as a classic text for various service Escape-Evasion schools, so I am told.

Years ago, a friend in Norway told me some dropped from the air during WW2 were used for years on roedeer and such after the war. And I wonder how many still hang in barns and outbuildings in France, Netherlands, etc, etc, etc and are possibly used for this or that even today?

Xausa; I have a Winchester Trapper with 16 1/4 inch barrel in .44 Magnum. IMO, you are right. I can't imagine a finer defense gun for critters like a 150 lb cougar or leopard, especially loaded hot with good expanding bullets or Elmer's sharp-edged LSWC's.

shakari
(.400 member)
23/03/09 03:06 AM

From my experience, even at close range a shotgun isn't worth shit. I did a night follow up a few years ago in Tanzania with my friend and fellow PH Colin Kirkham from Botswana. He had a 12 gauge and I had my .500. Thi is the follow up I discuss in the article I mentioned.

The animal charged and we both shot at the same moment when the animal was 5 or 6 yards from us in mid air........ my shot went in beside the nose and exited out his arse. Colin got in two barrels and although the shot broke the cat's jaw on both hinges, not a single pellet penetrated more than the skin.

It was that episode that made me decide to come up with my rehearsal technique......

I don't care what anyone else uses on a follow up but I'll stick with my 500.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/03/09 03:29 AM

Shakari:

Out of curiousity, can you legally carry a handgun in any of the countries in which you hunt?

Ripp
(.577 member)
23/03/09 04:15 AM

Quote:

A fellow I know used a US M1 .30 Carbine for years on cougar {"lion" around here} and others I've spoken to also had great things to say about that rifle for cougar hunting. Would probably make a pretty good leopard gun to for followups. Seems anemic, I know, but for close fast shooting, using soft point ammo, the round is deadly, and the guns handle like a good shotgun. I doubt they are available or even legal where the leopard are, but just a thought...

Agree with you the 30 carbine would be good but as you suggested not legal, just as those suggested by Xausa would also not be legal for leopard --at least they would not have been in the areas I have hunted them in...

As to the shotgun---as Shakari has stated, and everything I have seen and been told--I would NOT use that for leopard..have been told by more than one PH--they are worthless on leopard..and as suggested, penetration sucks....stick with the double...

I have shot many coyotes with the shotgun as well---off of a snowmobile and also calling them--based on what I see there,,would personally never use the shotgun..better than nothing, but just barely...

Ripp

xausa
(.400 member)
23/03/09 04:19 AM

9.3:

I just walked past my bookshelf, where George is rubbing shoulders with McBride and realized my mistake. Thanks for saving me the trouble (but not the embarrassment) of correcting myself.

I, too, have a Model 94 Trapper in .44 Magnum. It resides in a pocket behind the seat of my aged pickup truck. It has a Lyman folding tang sight and it and my old Model 92 Winchester carbine in .32-20 are the only rifles I have ever been able to hit aerial targets with.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
23/03/09 04:41 AM

No problem, Bill.

Except for the aerial targets, for me that is...

I have no problem hitting aerial targets as long as I wait to shoot until they are sitting on the ground...

shakari
(.400 member)
23/03/09 04:46 AM

Quote:

Shakari:

Out of curiousity, can you legally carry a handgun in any of the countries in which you hunt?

Some you can, some you can't and some are a bit of a grey area. I carry one (40 S&W) where I'm permitted to and I also dress for a Leopard track. I wear jeans, a leather motorcycle jacket and a shamargh. Might not look the full ticket and it's hotter n hell, but at least it'd give me some protection.

I've only ever got nailed by a Leopard once in my life and that was only a few deep scratches down one forearm, but I've gotta tell you it doesn't just hurt, it FUCKING HURTS! and it doesn't stop doing that for weeks and weeks and so I'll take any protection I can get nowadays.

Of course, the best way to avoid getting beaten up by Mr Spots is to have the client shoot straight in the first place and the second best way is to shoot straight during the follow up....... and I've gotta tell you, that charge in the video is slow compared to some. At night esp, you have one chance and one chance only to get a shot off and even if you do connect, the bloody thing can land on top of you if you're not careful.

Incidentally, even a dead cat can be dangerous because of all the nasty things they carry, so after you've done the hero pic bit with him on your shoulders etc, make a point of washing your hands before you climb in the truck and shower well (preferably with dog shampoo) as soon as you can afterwards.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
23/03/09 12:21 PM

Interesting comments.
Shooting leopards from a blind is exactly that,SHOOTING not hunting.
Several experienced PH's from Botswana believe that a 10 bore loaded with 00 buck (18 pellets) is the prefered firearm for followup on wounded leopard.
As for armchair hunters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xausa
(.400 member)
23/03/09 01:07 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but if taking a leopard from a blind is not hunting, what is your definition of leopard hunting? I took mine from a blind and I don't know of any other way I could have even seen a leopard, let alone have gotten a shot at one. I wasn't shooting after dark with a spotlight, it was still daylight, albeit late in the afternoon. If I had wounded it instead of killing it instantaneously, I would have been faced with dealing with it in some very nasty brush. Please enlighten me.

DarylS
(.700 member)
23/03/09 03:52 PM

I don't know anything about buckshot on leopards, but know for a fact, they are garbage on black bears and a laughing sotck on grizzlies.

I would think a good pump-gun with fosters would work well on leopards. M870 or Mossberg 535 with someone who knows how to use it is what I'm referring to. Trouble is, that takes practise, which most people won't do today. 3 aimed shots just under 2 seconds is what can happen, but it takes training.

Autoloaders are too slow as fast shots cannot be aimed as with a pump.

Ruger .44 autoloader would probably be a good one- few around, though.

shakari
(.400 member)
23/03/09 04:32 PM

There's really only 3 ways of hunting Leopard. Tracking, where the chances of success are incredibly low, with dogs, which has a very high success rate, but to me is unsporting and not my cup of tea. I don't condemn those who do it, but don't want to do it myself. Or by bait and blind techniques which is largely all about the skill of the PH and is similar to a game of chess in many ways. Shooting the Leopard from the blind should be the easiest shot of a safari, but is the shot most likely to be stuffed up..... getting a suitable cat onto the tree so it can be shot, is extremely difficult and as I said, requires a lot of skill.

As for shotguns on Leopards. As I previously said, others can use what they like, but I'll stick with my .500. I'd be very interested to hear from those that do say they use a shotgun, how many of them have shot and killed a wounded Leopard with their shotgun alone. My guess is that number would be considerably lower than the number that haven't been stopped by a shotgun alone or have been stopped by or with the aid if a rifle........ but hey, it's their skin and their choice, not mine.

albertan
(.333 member)
23/03/09 06:37 PM

I went over to the site from which this video originated. That is where I got the best laughs on what to do during such a crisis. It's a good thing the Duke is no longer with us. He would have had to hang'em up after judging the experience that manifested itself in the comments sections. In Zim, the PH carried a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. He believed that it was his 2nd last line of defence. A fixed blade knife(and never a folding blade) being the last.

When we were closing in on a large, maned lion, his sagatious advice was thus:

Walter, whatever you do, do not fucking miss! Walter, do not fuck this shot up!

I use Uncle Mike's lens covers on many of my scopes. My PH removed them during dangerous game hunts as he believed during a charge they would block out the target at the last moment during a charge. I had not thought of it until he mentioned it and described what a charge was like. Many times you are shooting over the scope, just pointing and shooting. You will not, and cannot , hit what you cannot see.

JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
23/03/09 08:45 PM

I understand your sentiment Alan, but I guess it is no different to baited black bear hunting or even tree stands for deer set out over game crops... In the case of black bear though, in some areas there is not much alternative due to the density of vegetation etc but my dollar would be spent in an area where stalking was possible because thats what I enjoy more. In the case of leopards, the chances of seeing one, let alone stalking one are pretty remote almost everywhere outside some very expensive private reserves. Hounds are an option, particularly in Namibia. Otherwise baiting is the only option with a reasonable chance of success. That is clearly sufficient motivation because it is the predominant way of taking leopards. For me thats one reason that leopard are not high on my wish list, but I have a friend who is crazy for cats... each to their own

Ripp
(.577 member)
23/03/09 10:30 PM

Quote:

I went over to the site from which this video originated. That is where I got the best laughs on what to do during such a crisis. It's a good thing the Duke is no longer with us. He would have had to hang'em up after judging the experience that manifested itself in the comments sections. In Zim, the PH carried a Ruger Redhawk in .44 magnum with a 4 inch barrel. He believed that it was his 2nd last line of defence. A fixed blade knife(and never a folding blade) being the last.

When we were closing in on a large, maned lion, his sagatious advice was thus:

Walter, whatever you do, do not fucking miss! Walter, do not fuck this shot up!

I use Uncle Mike's lens covers on many of my scopes. My PH removed them during dangerous game hunts as he believed during a charge they would block out the target at the last moment during a charge. I had not thought of it until he mentioned it and described what a charge was like. Many times you are shooting over the scope, just pointing and shooting. You will not, and cannot , hit what you cannot see.

Had a very similar experience in hunting very thick stuff for buff--as to the lens covers--also removed the sling as it can get caught up in the brush..

As to the comments on the other web-site...only furthers my previous comments..one can get a lot of advice on these web sites--BUT, one has to sort out the BS from fact...

IMHO, of one does not, one can get oneself in a lot of trouble in a hurry when actually out there hunting the dangerous stuff..fortunately, there are a few on this site that are PH's or have some practical experience..which is very valuable..

As to shooting a leopard from a blind not sporting..."bite me"..
Armchair indeed....

Ripp

rscott
(.333 member)
23/03/09 11:37 PM

"Autoloaders are too slow as fast shots cannot be aimed as with a pump."

i have a longtime friend, Zim. PH and RLI veteran, who i've seen put that statement in the ground for all time.
the precision close quarters shooting a cool headed, properly trained marksman can do with an FAL, in the dark, is truly devastating! and, quite frankly, unbelievable unless you've seen it yourself!

should have specified semi-auto operation.

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/03/09 02:28 AM

FNFAL vs 12 bore, ay? That's a subject! Pick your projectiles - and the 12 is MUCH more powerful for close in work. Properly loaded, it doesn't need 20 rounds whereas the .308 probably would.

DuggaBoy
(.300 member)
24/03/09 02:41 AM

Quote:

FNFAL vs 12 bore, ay? That's a subject! Pick your projectiles - and the 12 is MUCH more powerful for close in work. Properly loaded, it doesn't need 20 rounds whereas the .308 probably would.

I would not want Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner going after me with either an FAL or a Trench gun

But I do think Roland would have done better than the man in the video with the double rifle

9.3x57
(.450 member)
24/03/09 03:19 AM

I got to thinking, that is, rethinking and after thinking about it, I think I understand Shakari's reasoning for the .500. I might be a little slow on the uptake, but I think I got it now...

A couple years ago I put a shot into a deer's head thru the mouth with a 140 grain bullet from a 6.5 Swede from about 2 feet. The bullet came apart in the jaw and teeth and never made it to the back of the head. This same bullet on another deer that had been wounded by someone else took the fleeing animal from a range of about 15 paces up thru the ham, breaking the back leg and coming to rest high in the chest on the far side, excellent performance, really. Same bullet.

I'd be delighted to use this combination for a shot at a cat in a tree over bait.

But...

Picture the leopard scenario with the cat facing you and my experience with the 140 and the deer's teeth closes the book on what I think about light calibers and charging leopard.

A leopard without his teeth still has four ways to cause a bit of consternation.

Thanks for the discussion fellows. Interesting stuff.

BeltedMagnum
(.224 member)
24/03/09 10:21 AM

I never, Ever, EVER hunt/shoot Leopard from a blind, and have not once followed one up with a shotgun or scenting dogs. Never had the need to field an autoloading carbine after a big tom, with a ruler long pig sticker strapped to my leg. I do all of my Leopard hunting in my boxer shorts with my head firmly planted on a pillow while my wife steals the covers..... As such, I will reserve comment on what they did wrong and what could have been done better.

However - If you were going to plant me there and then, remington 1100, extended tube with the following ingredients: slug slug slug, and 5 OO's to follow. I love my SxS and my pump w- slugs is handy dandy, but when the zombies are at the door I know what I am reaching for.

Awesome video and great comments guys!
Belted

RLI
(.375 member)
24/03/09 01:33 PM

Its interesting that some PH's use a shotgun on leopard and some do not saying they are useless (maybe not slugs) but reading the comments here and on AR the best firearm to use on wounded leopard would be a FN FAL 7.62mm (or a Lithgow L1A1 )but if not available I would go for a fast lever Winchester .405 or Marlin .444 even a double .470 as these cats are like lighting.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/03/09 01:39 PM

I always thought the shotgun alternative was for end of barrel emergencies ...

Most guys I have read about or spoken to, say, they would choose a big bore double rifle if they had one, if not, or can't afford one, a shotgun. Except for guys preferring their bolt action big bore.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
24/03/09 03:35 PM

Quote:

You clearly have never hunted Leopard.

lancaster
(.470 member)
24/03/09 05:40 PM

Quote:

Its interesting that some PH's use a shotgun on leopard and some do not saying they are useless (maybe not slugs) but reading the comments here and on AR the best firearm to use on wounded leopard would be a FN FAL 7.62mm (or a Lithgow L1A1 )but if not available I would go for a fast lever Winchester .405 or Marlin .444 even a double .470 as these cats are like lighting.

you need practise with an full auto rifle. try to shoot the running boar target with a AK 74 in 223 rem in semi auto once and its not so easy to get the second shoot on the target again before it is away.

maybe the AK 47 in 7,62x39 is the best gun, light, handy and absolut reliable

500Nitro
(.450 member)
24/03/09 05:48 PM

Nothing wrong with the reliability of an L1A1.
Bloody fool proof if you ask me.

Semi Auto only, full auto, people tend to spray and pray.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
24/03/09 06:22 PM

Quote:

Interesting comments.
Several experienced PH's from Botswana believe that a 10 bore loaded with 00 buck (18 pellets) is the prefered firearm for followup on wounded leopard.

One of the PHs Ive hunted with has successfully blown away many Leopard with a 10Ga but found its a bit limited on Lion
Not to sure about Blind hunting not being Hunting?
Alike shooting Gooks from a Ambush bunker. Sure would consider it killing in combat.

shakari
(.400 member)
24/03/09 07:05 PM

I reckon you can forget your ideas of multiple shots etc. From my experience they come for you at absolute greased lightning speed and you're lucky if you get time for one shot, let alone more. Try to imagine skeet shooting at close range and accelerate the whole experience a few times and you get an inkling of how fast they usually are. Then factor in that a Leopard can and usually will, hide behind a single blade of grass....... snap shooting is the name of the game and it helps (if time allows, and it probably won't!) to get low and shoot on the same plane as the cat to increase your chances. Even a double probably wouldn't allow time for the average shooter to get the rifle back on line for a second shot in time. Maybe someone who's very good indeed with their double might make it, but they'd have to be very good indeed to manage it.

I guess an automatic weapon might work if you could control it but as they're not permitted in any African country I know of, the idea isn't really relevent.

As for shooting Lion with a shotgun of any calibre with any size certridge loading at any range...... I think someone's probably been pulling your leg. (IMO) anyone who tried that game is in need of serious psychiatric help. All I can say to that is whilst I wouldn't doubt your or his word, I'm buggered if I'd consider that idea for even a millisecond.

ozhunter
(.400 member)
24/03/09 08:00 PM

Ok, Lioness.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
24/03/09 10:56 PM

I will be spending a fair bit of time in Botswana in the next couple of years,so it is interesting to read everyones comments on the subject.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shooting a leopard at very close range with a heavy calibre would do nothing except pass right through the animal without expanding and unless you hit a vital area, you would have a problem.

As far as penetration is concerned with 00 BUCK ,those knockers of this round have obviously never used it.
I've personally shot pigs,goats ,donkey and scrub cattle with this round and put them all down.

I loaded some 410 2 1/2 inch cartriges with3 x 36 cal round balls and shot cattle at close range a while ago with a one shot one kill.

00Buck is 330 diameter.

As for shooting leopard from a hide on a bait,IMHO it would be more exciting going to the local shooting gallery.

Al

shakari
(.400 member)
24/03/09 11:36 PM

Alan,

The trick is to shoot for the face which is stretched out in front of the animal and if you get it right, you either hit or get close to the brain and/or spine and with a bit of luck on the angles etc, you might also even hit the engine room. - Very fast opening bullets are worth their weight in gold.

I'm a bugger for not updating my photo gallery but below my post are a couple of pics that show where you want to place your shot on a charging cat.

I take your point on big shot........ also take your point on the animals you've used it on, but I note there's no Lions or Leopards on that list. If you say they work on the animals you've used them on, I don't doubt your word one iota...... but until you've used on cats, you don't know if they work on cats, and from my personal experience, they're about as much use as a one legged man at an arse kicking party on cats.

Shooting Leopard from a blind isn't for everyone but unless you do it with dogs, you probably won't be successful without using bait and blind...... but remember mate, that the shot is just the culmination of a loooong game of chess to get the cat to bait and it's that game that's sooooo enjoyable. A good PH will involve you in that game so you get to enjoy it, a not so good PH may not allow you that pleasure.

Here's the pics & remember that a cat charges with it's head low and stretched out in front of him (Leopard slightly lower than than Lion). Both bullet holes are from my 500 and both animals dropped like sacks of the brown stuff. At the bottom is a pic of a charging Lion to illustrate my point. One also needs to remember that every charge situation is different and about the only thing they have in common is that they all happen helluva fast.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/03/09 12:20 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but shooting a leopard at very close range with a heavy calibre would do nothing except pass right through the animal without expanding and unless you hit a vital area, you would have a problem.

Generally-speaking, any caliber that generates over about 2000 fps at the strike also produces a certain amount of hydraulic affect that normally causes severe cavitation. This can be seen dramatically in testing media and in animals. Your statement is more a possibility than a probability tho I've seen this lack of hydraulic affect occur with smaller calibers at very close range.

Most importantly tho, it is not the "caliber" that passes thru. It is the bullet. Use a bullet that will expand and you will have a massive wound with a heavy NE caliber at bayonet range. Even if a guy is stuck with stoutly constructed bullets he could trick the points a bit to ensure quick opening. And the shots that Shakari is talking about are not at 400 meters but 4 feet where essentially muzzle velocity prevails.

As far as penetration is concerned with 00 BUCK ,those knockers of this round have obviously never used it.
I've personally shot pigs,goats ,donkey and scrub cattle with this round and put them all down.

I loaded some 410 2 1/2 inch cartriges with3 x 36 cal round balls and shot cattle at close range a while ago with a one shot one kill.

00Buck is 330 diameter.

My original post I thought was pretty clear. It is the poor patterning of 00 that I criticize, particularly on smaller critters I've used it on. Where it provides a tight pattern it provides no advantage; up close. There, a guy might as well use a rifle. A guy in my opinion is far better served with a gun that will do what the buckshot gun will do up close, and also be capable of, say, a 70-yard shot should that possiblitity occur. A 00 buck loaded shotgun would be worthless on a leopard at 70 yards. Also, my media testing of buckshot exposed one more problem with it that I never much thought of before I tested it; the erratic and relatively unpredictable nature of penetration. It was very difficult to predict how many pellets would go how far in the test media. Since shooting involves a certain amount of probabilities, I'd take a rifle every time over buckshot, tho obviously tons of game has been shot with buckshot over the years, in all countries everywhere.

As for shooting leopard from a hide on a bait,IMHO it would be more exciting going to the local shooting gallery.

To each his own. I suppose there are those who would say you aren't a hunter if you use a modern rifle, a 4x4 vehicle or Gore-Tex boots, too.

Incidently, we are not allowed to shoot cougar over bait, but I can assure you you will come home empty handed if you think you are going to merely wander into a secretive cat like the cougar or the leopard. For example, I know woods workers {loggers, foresters, etc} here that have spent their entire lives in the woods and never saw a lion, not one. Almost 30 years ago I spent six weeks tromping around leopard country in Congo and never saw one, just one serval cat at night. Just making the point that they aren't standing around waiting for a handout.

Here, we can chase lion with hounds and that is essentially the only way to do it. Tracking is impossible.

Interesting Shakari finds chasing leopard with hounds is undesireable to him. Maybe it is the terrain that makes it boring? I have never found the chasing of bear or cougar uninteresting here, that's for sure.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/03/09 12:25 AM

Shakari; Any pics of the internal damage to either of those critters?

shakari
(.400 member)
25/03/09 12:39 AM

Sorry mate, none, but if it's of any use, there was a very large wound channel on both occasions that travelled either right alongside the spine or crossed and broke the spine (can't remember which) and exit holes out of the arse of both animals.

Interestingly, we couldn't find where the bullet went out of the skull of either animal and it was only when the taxidermist got his magnifing glass out that we found rifling marks on those very thin bones at the back of the nasal area on both animals.......... hardly believeable but that's the way it was.

FWIW, bullets were Woodligh SPs (NOT PSPs) on both occasions.

xausa
(.400 member)
25/03/09 12:47 AM

Quote:

Please give me the address of your local shooting gallery. That would be an experience I wouldn't want to miss.

I have to admit that I was reluctant to go after a leopard in the first place. Only after my PH convinced me that I would always regret it if I didn't (and he was right) did I agree to give it a try.

My main concern was this: if I screwed up my shot, someone else would likely pay for it. My impression of leopards from all the accounts I had read was that they are very democratic creatures. Unlike lions, who tend to go for the nearest source of their pain and then stick with their tormentor, leopards will attack one person and then go on to the next until everyone in the party has had his share. In addition to the PH, I had two gunbearers and a tracker, all of whom would be involved in following up a wounded animal. The odds were five to one that one or more of them and not me would be the recipient of the leopard's attention. I didn't want that responsibility.

In addition, the only experience I had had with shooting cats was with the feral housecats I used to encounter on varmint hunting expeditions. When shot even with a high speed cartridge like a .220 Swift, which is sudden death on crows and groundhogs, cats have been known to jump five feet in the air, turn somersaults, and depart, yes, like a scalded cat, only to be found stone dead and shot to pieces fifty yards away. If this was the reaction of a ten pound housecat, I had a hard time visualizing that of a 150 pound predator.

As far as a leopard's strength is concerned, once, hunting on private land, we came across a place in the nine foot game fence, which was topped with barbed wire, where a leopard had carried a full grown sheep over it. We later found the sheep lodged 20 feet up in a crotch in a tree where the leopard had stored it for future consumption.

All this was going through my head when I squeezed the trigger on my .375 H&H double rifle from the blind 80 yards away. Imagine my consternation when the leopard didn't move, not even a twitch. It was stretched out on a horizontal limb, reaching for the warthog hung as bait, and it acted as though it had not even heard the shot. So I shot again. Still no reaction.

One of the gunbearers in the blind with me (the PH was off with the hunting car) said "bas", meaning "that's enough" or "it's finished", and we slowly and warily exited the blind, the gunbearers with their "shottiguns" (yes, loaded with buckshot) and I with my .375. As we walked toward the tree, the hindquarters of the leopard fell off the horizontal limb, leaving him draped over the branch from which the bait was secured. A post mortem revealed that both bullets had struck about an inch apart, and the first one had severed the leopard's spine.

I would compare the shot I made to shooting a free throw in a championship basketball game in the final seconds, with the game on the line. A thousand repetitions in practice don't compensate for the tension that builds up when you realize that you are not just letting yourself down, but the whole team and possibly their families and dependants, if you screw up the shot.

Only with a leopard your life and the life and well being of others are hanging on the line, and it is not a game.

450_366
(.400 member)
25/03/09 01:17 AM

I will probably piss off a couple of users of buchshot, but anyway.

Buckshot are a pore way of getting large animals shooting an unsighted shotgun, if sighted a slug would be much better. Surely a buckshot will kill any animal if hitt right, but how many animals hasnt walked off with only one or two pellets under the skin and tought of as a miss. I cant understand the use of the buckshot at all, if you can hit and kill with a buckshot you will also be able to hit it with a slug or an ordinary rifle, and it will get past a bone if one is struck. The only use of a buckshot to me would be shooting of a speeding flatbed and trying to get a pig thats already is wounded.

As stated the 00 is about a 0,33cal roundball, and if i remember right theres about nine of them.
I wonder how many people would want to use a 0,33cal ducksfoot or pepperbox as a backup for cats?
Take a look at old mussleloaders, how many 0,33cal mussleloaders was concidered as a large game rifle or even less a big cat rifle? And to understand the animal in question, take an ordinary domestic cat upp in one hand, grab it under the belly and shake it and the add about 15-20 time the strenght. If its one thing i would fear it would be an angry cat, i would for sure not to try throwing an handfull of pellets at it when charged, i would want the biggest gun i could handle with accuracy and shooting a fast expanding bullet thru it. Are there any 8-bore varmint bullets out there?

dale
(.333 member)
25/03/09 05:29 AM

From the Xausa files

shakari
(.400 member)
25/03/09 05:46 AM

And that gentlemen is a one in a million picture and shot. I've never been that fortunate in 30 years of hunting in Africa....... my heartiest congratulations to the hunter and my envy to his PH!

xausa
(.400 member)
25/03/09 06:12 AM

Thanks, Dale, for posting the picture, and thanks, Steve, for the nice compliment. My PH was the late David Williams of Ker, Downey and Selby, the venue was the Selous, and the year was 1973. The leopard now resides in the Cumberland Museum, in Nashville, Tennessee. His skull graces my gun room.

shakari
(.400 member)
25/03/09 06:21 AM

Reminds me of a funny story....... a couple of years ago, a PH who shall remain nameless to save his blushes, was on (probably) his first Leopard hunt. He omitted to put sizing marks on the tree, measure the spoor beforehand or anything else.

Anyway, there he was, sitting in the blind and a Leopard gets up on the branch. The PH tells his client to shoot, at which, the Leopard disappears for a moment and then reappears on the branch. PH tells the client, 'you must have missed, shoot again'......... So the client did.

When they went over the tree, they found two dead, perfectly shot Leopard cubs laying one on top of the other under the tree.

Christ knows what the told the game dept, but you gotta laugh huh!

9.3x57
(.450 member)
25/03/09 12:22 PM

Bill, as usual, well, AS USUAL, a great pic from your classic hunts.

Thanks for posting that pic.

Wow...

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
25/03/09 01:11 PM

Leopard are elusive. I had the fortune to see a mother and cub last year in Namibia. We were touring Etosha and came around a bend of the road; I was sitting in the front passenger seat and had my camera in hand. The sequence below was ~3 seconds.

I saw four of the big five that day in less than 10 hours (no Cape Buffalo in the park). Daylight hunting without dogs is possible but not likely; VW vans don't have enough acceleration (and it's less sporting too).

RLI
(.375 member)
25/03/09 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Shakari:

Some you can, some you can't and some are a bit of a grey area. I carry one (40 S&W) where I'm permitted to and I also dress for a Leopard track. I wear jeans, a leather motorcycle jacket and a shamargh. Might not look the full ticket and it's hotter n hell, but at least it'd give me some protection.

I've only ever got nailed by a Leopard once in my life and that was only a few deep scratches down one forearm, but I've gotta tell you it doesn't just hurt, it FUCKING HURTS! and it doesn't stop doing that for weeks and weeks and so I'll take any protection I can get nowadays.

Of course, the best way to avoid getting beaten up by Mr Spots is to have the client shoot straight in the first place and the second best way is to shoot straight during the follow up....... and I've gotta tell you, that charge in the video is slow compared to some. At night esp, you have one chance and one chance only to get a shot off and even if you do connect, the bloody thing can land on top of you if you're not careful.

Incidentally, even a dead cat can be dangerous because of all the nasty things they carry, so after you've done the hero pic bit with him on your shoulders etc, make a point of washing your hands before you climb in the truck and shower well (preferably with dog shampoo) as soon as you can afterwards.

Steve,
I was just thinking of protective clothing for leopard attack and as you have experience of a attack how would chainsaw protective trousers and jacket go? this fabric is not restrictive and can minimise a chainsaw at full revs to
very little if any injury to the body but continuous cutting in the same spot may be different!

cheers
Steve

shakari
(.400 member)
25/03/09 09:17 PM

As long as they don't restrict body movement, I think they'd be a bloody good idea. If they came in bib and brace and separate jacket, they'd be a brilliant idea!

Problem is I doubt we could buy such items over here and if we could, they'd cost a fortune.

I've gotta say, my one and only experience wasn't much of an experience and I got away incredibly lightly. Nevertheless, it was excrucuatingly painful for many weeks. Bad injuries from a Leopard must be a truly awful experience.

RLI
(.375 member)
25/03/09 10:39 PM

They come in trousers, bib & Brace, chaps, jackets and gloves and in drab olive! price in oz varies but work on $200 AUD for trousers. They are 50% cotton 50% kevlar but have 9 layers and kevlar is used a bit depending on make, I think they would protect against spots having a claw at you but you could still get injured but at least you won't get opened up!

shakari
(.400 member)
25/03/09 11:02 PM

Bib and brace and maybe a jacket sounds like it'd work pretty well. It's the bites and scratches that you need to avoid because of the subsequent infections which are the cause of most of the long term pain.

I'll try to get down to my local farm suppliers place over the next few days and see if they have anything and if not, I'll start looking elsewhere.

Thanks for such a great idea!!

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
25/03/09 11:28 PM

Some interesting reading:-

http://www.bwanabrown.com/a_shotgun_for_africa_.htm

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
25/03/09 11:31 PM

And some more:-

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=aiNd...ct=result#PPA38,M1

shakari
(.400 member)
26/03/09 12:03 AM

Mate,

Those links, esp the second one are typical examples of instant experts who have spent a few weeks in Africa and read a few books, thinking they know considerably more than they actually do and consequently writing utter bollocks. Sadly, it happens all the time and is one of the main reasons the world is so full of 'part-time agents'.

Whilst I love the PHC books (IMO) most of what he wrote about Leopard hunting wasn't 'entirely accurate' As proof of that, try taking a Mod 12 and trying what PHC claims...... it simply doesn't work..... or at least, it didn't when I tried it. Regarding the first article, the guy quotes PHC but no where does he mention shooting a Leopard himself, let alone following it up with a shotgun.

In the second article, the author waffles a lot a quotes lots of second hand stories but admits to only ever having hunted 1 Leopard and makes no mention of a follow up at all, let alone a follow up on a wounded Leopard. Yet another instant bloody expert.

Let's try a little experiment using the people who have posted on, have read or will read this thread.

Hands up all those who have hunted a Leopard, wounded and then followed it up with only shotguns and subsequently killed it without any injuries to the hunting party.

Believe me buddy, following up a wounded Leopard is one of the scariest and most dangerous things you can do and I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the brown stuff that the vast majority of (wounded) Leopard follow ups using only shotguns result in serious injuries to the hunters.

Like I said, I don't care what others use but I'll stick to my 500 every time.

Those comments were not intended to offend and I sincerely hope they haven't.

DarylS
(.700 member)
26/03/09 01:39 AM

I for one, sincerely appreciate your posts and experience, Steve. I've never been to Africa, although I have guided in the northern areas & hunted freely throughout most of BC since 1977. From deer to elk, moose, grizzly and of course black bear. None of these animals are candidates for buck shot in my books. Had a hunter showed up to take a deer or black bear with buck - his 'pelter' would have been cased and left in camp - the hunter being tested and trained if necessary, to shoot his game with one of my own rifles before leaving camp for his hunt. To me, shotguns are for birds with fine shot, and bad men with large shot.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/03/09 01:47 AM

Shakari:

Regarding chainsaw pants, etc.

Try the big farm store on Commercialweg in Maritzburg. Haven't been there for 20 years but I bet the outfit still exists.

Also, I bet the Clan Syndicate logging company about 50km north of Maritzburg can get them. If Clan Syndicate still exists. Again...20 years...

I can get all that stuff here in town. I am in a timber town here in logging country.

And for an on-line supply outfit;

http://www.baileysonline.com/

http://www.gemplers.com/list.aspx?SKW=ch...ants|2631402655

Full-wrap pants:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=164+ORG+RG&catID=

And finally, some ballistic options:

Chest, arm, groin ballistic protection:

http://www.uscav.com/search.aspx?Search=...hreat%20Series!

Some of the light tactical vests are not too restrictive, but the multi-hit heavy sets add thickness at the shoulder making mounting the rifle difficult.

I bet if you start calling around, you can find some law enforcement fellows in Joburg area that can scrounge you up a set to try. The sets designed to be worn under a uniform are much less restrictive than the full torso class II and III sets.

shakari
(.400 member)
26/03/09 02:02 AM

Daryl,

Thanks for those kind words..... I've been in the business one way or another for 29 years this year and Mrs Shakari and I are currently discussing my maybe going into semi retirement from the field. We'll still run the business and I guess I'll still hunt with old friends and clients and maybe keep my hand in with a few cat hunts, but I'll try to let the other (younger) guys take the new clients out. I might try to postpone that until I've made the 30 years though. If I did that, it'd give us time to explore other business opportunities that are suddenly appearing as well.

9.3 x 57

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out my local stores and if I can't find anything, I'll check out the KZN stores when I go down there in about a months time.

450_366
(.400 member)
26/03/09 03:15 AM

I had my pants (stihl) on today and they are only padded on the front half of the legs/chest.
And i think they are constructed to rip apart and tangle the sawchain untill it stops, i dont think they would be so good at protecting agains teeth/stabs. One of those stab shirts would probably be better at that, and not so bloody warm either.

500Nitro
(.450 member)
26/03/09 03:24 AM

What about some of the Ceramic Bullet proof plates as used by the Military ?

They are designed to be non restrictive.

The only problem I see with then is the claws could get behind them and rip it out.

Just a thought.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/03/09 03:34 AM

450, you are correct.

They are designed to stop the saw.

That's why I added ballistic stuff to my post above.

I think they might be good at stopping scratching or clawing though. Like you I'm not really sure.

The lightweight tactical stuff would be a good start I think.

Also, it's hard for me to see how chainsaw pants would make an attack worse.

It just dawned on me, tho...

I think meat cutters protective clothing would be the ticket.

That stuff is pretty lightweight and might work out best. Gloves, vests are available. I'm not sure about pants.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
26/03/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

What about some of the Ceramic Bullet proof plates as used by the Military ?

They are designed to be non restrictive.

The only problem I see with then is the claws could get behind them and rip it out.

Just a thought.

They are HEAVY.

REALLY heavy, and totally restrict movement.

No doubt they'd stop a cat's teeth tho and might help if the client gets the gun going wrong when shooting the thing off Shakari!!

500Nitro
(.450 member)
26/03/09 03:41 AM

They are HEAVY.

REALLY heavy, and totally restrict movement.

No doubt they'd stop a cat's teeth tho and might help if the client gets the gun going wrong when shooting the thing off Shakari!!

LMAO

Shakari would be pleased !!!!

shakari
(.400 member)
26/03/09 05:34 AM

Thanks for your consideration guys!

Ideally I'd like every Leopard to take the first shot like the one pictured in the previous page....... hell, I'd even climb the tree myself every time to bring it down on my back !

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/03/09 09:48 PM

Quote:

I will be spending a fair bit of time in Botswana in the next couple of years,so it is interesting to read everyones comments on the subject.

Al

What are you up to there? PM or email me if you wish.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
26/03/09 10:03 PM

Hemingway wrote once his favourite choice of firearm for leopard follow-up was a quail gun (?) or shotgun loaded with no. 9 bird shot.

Wonder how many bottles were consumed before that bit of literature?

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
26/03/09 10:41 PM

John,will email you privately on that subject.
Al

ALAN_MCKENZIE
(.400 member)
26/03/09 10:56 PM

OK ,Steve now that the dust has settled on 00 BUCK lets consider what light fast handling firearm would be suitable on charging leopard or lion.
A 500 definately does not fit into that catagory so what alternatives do we have to stop a full blown charge .

Might I sugest a 10 or 12 bore paradox or smooth bore loaded with 750gn projectiles.

A 500 double would have to weigh around 10 1/2 pounds and your average 10 or 12 bore would weigh from 6 1/2 to 8 pounds.

Any thoughts on the subject.

9.3x57
(.450 member)
27/03/09 12:01 AM

Quote:

OK ,Steve now that the dust has settled on 00 BUCK lets consider what light fast handling firearm would be suitable on charging leopard or lion.
A 500 definately does not fit into that catagory so what alternatives do we have to stop a full blown charge .

Might I sugest a 10 or 12 bore paradox or smooth bore loaded with 750gn projectiles.

A 500 double would have to weigh around 10 1/2 pounds and your average 10 or 12 bore would weigh from 6 1/2 to 8 pounds.

Seems that Shakari already answered you in regards to what considers fast enough handling.

I'll lean back and get comfy in my armchair and toss in my $.02, tho...

IMO it is your purposes here, Alan, that describe the "African niche" for the Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I'll go so far as to state that it would rank as high as just about anything else when loaded with 400 grain bullets of a variety of type from my long-shaft cast hollow points to jacketed soft points and running at 1500 to 1800 fps. My 402 HP goes 1640 fps and is a killer on game and in test media at short range duplicates the .375 H&H Magnum when that caliber is loaded with Premium jacketed bullets.

My Marlin is from the first year of Ballard rifling and has the 22 inch barrel. Even on a huge leopard, the gun would absolutely kill from any angle and break bones the whole way. Weight is around 7.5 lbs and handling is really superb. For shots from the front sight to 100 long paces, I really can't imagine anything better for handling of the rifle when mixed with killing of the leopard.

shakari
(.400 member)
27/03/09 12:32 AM

Alan,

All this is really a matter of personal choice but I'd say whatever rifle the shooter is most at home with and can handle fastest. My own carry rifle is my 500 Jeffery, weighs about 12.5 lbs fully loaded and is fitted with mercury tube recoil arrestor, 19 inch barrel, shallow vee rearsight and red fibre optic foresight. The rifle is made to fit me and handles like a shotgun when it comes to fast target acquisition. Although I say it myself, I'm helluva fast with it when I need to be........ that rifle is the perfect charge stopper for my use. For cats, my choice of bullet, which is equally important, is the Woodleigh SP..... and I've never had an occasion where there was time for a second shot, so the first one has to be bang on target. Maybe others have had time for a second shot, but I never have.

I don't really have enough experience with shotgun and solid slug to comment, but I guess it'd work. The sights might be a problem but that said, I never remember the actual shot in a charge, so don't know if I conciously use the sights or not. All I ever remember is identifying the beginning of the charge and the animal laying dead afterwards. The bit in between is always a total blank.

As for the marlin. Yes, I guess it'd work but again have never used one so I don't really have any experiences to base my comments on.

I think the most impportant thing is to use a firearm that is capable of doing the job and that the shooter is 110% familiar with and can shoot very, very quickly.

Ripp
(.577 member)
27/03/09 12:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Seems that Shakari already answered you in regards to what considers fast enough handling.

I'll lean back and get comfy in my armchair and toss in my $.02, tho...

IMO it is your purposes here, Alan, that describe the "African niche" for the Marlin 1895 in .45-70. I'll go so far as to state that it would rank as high as just about anything else when loaded with 400 grain bullets of a variety of type from my long-shaft cast hollow points to jacketed soft points and running at 1500 to 1800 fps. My 402 HP goes 1640 fps and is a killer on game and in test media at short range duplicates the .375 H&H Magnum when that caliber is loaded with Premium jacketed bullets.

My Marlin is from the first year of Ballard rifling and has the 22 inch barrel. Even on a huge leopard, the gun would absolutely kill from any angle and break bones the whole way. Weight is around 7.5 lbs and handling is really superb. For shots from the front sight to 100 long paces, I really can't imagine anything better for handling of the rifle when mixed with killing of the leopard.

In addition to the above---a double properly fitted will be able to be handled just as a shotgun ONLY with much better results in stopping a leopard...

Agee with what has been stated by Shakari..and I will paraphrase here..but, anyone wanting to face a leopard or lion, especially a lion, with a shotgun, has either not done it or is not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Ripp

DarylS
(.700 member)
27/03/09 02:26 AM

9.3x57 has a good point concerning the Marlin and perhaps it would be one of the very best 'charge stoppers'. I've had two in the past, a .444 with 300gr. and a .45.70, microgrooved 22" with 350's and 400's. Recently, I've come to know a Guide Gun in stainless that puts out 400gr.Barnes FN's just over 2,000fps, but recoil in the light gun is a bit much for really fast cycling. Any of these would work well on cats I'm sure. 9.3's lighter 400gr. cast HP (or jacketed) at just over 1,600fps would be more controllable, less recoil and faster for repeat shots if necessary - probalby not necessary. With a modicum of good practise, that lever gun is just about as fast as a properly exersized Lee Enfield.

Personally, I'd probably go for one of the 9.3's or a .375 something. Those 300gr. Interbonds look to be perfect!

BeltedMagnum
(.224 member)
27/03/09 09:51 AM

I think that before putting on anti-chainsaw gear, or bullet proof plates, perhaps we should consider a suit designed specifically for keeping big teeth out of our tender flesh.

http://www.sharkmans-world.com/images/interviews/jersul/neptunic_suit_2005.jpg

Based on the footage I have seen on TV, I'd figure that you would be safer than a steak at a PETA rally,,, if you could shoulder your rifle,shotgun,lance. A nice change for those of us that have been wearing a Akubra hats and Willis and Geiger for far to long.

Belted "armchair leopard hunter" Magnum, I love this place

Ripp
(.577 member)
27/03/09 12:14 PM

Quote:

Belted "armchair leopard hunter" Magnum, I love this place

Ripp

RLI
(.375 member)
27/03/09 12:51 PM

I think walking around the bush in a shark suit with a spear gun or in loggers protective chainsaw clothing in bright safety yellow with a chainsaw at full throttle would scare any poor leopard away !!

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/07/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

I went over to the site from which this video originated. T

Found this thread again when looking for the other leopard attack video link.

I remember seeing a thread on a certain toxic aussie hunting forum and the experts there were saying "the PH whines like a little girl" ... they must have been real (keyboard) he-men indeed to make such comments.

Actually I think a lot of the whines are coming from the leopard anyway. ??? In any case being chewed on, anyone would make any sort of noise even if the bravest.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/07/12 10:23 PM

Another with a similar film stored on NE:

Double Rifle Leopard hunt and Mauling

Contact Us NitroExpress.com