CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
08/02/08 12:31 PM
Re: .338 Win Mag VS .375 H&H

I am a big fan of the .338 Win. Mag. I would think it the premier cartridge for the plains game and large African antelope. It certainly is a dandy for the Rocky Mountain Elk, which I know from experience.

I agree with Ken Waters' assessment of the .338 Win. Mag. He maintained that you aren't really getting the use out of the rifle if you shoot bullets weighing less than 250 grains. Those who use the 200 and 225 grain bullets should be shooting the .300 Mag. The .338 comes into its prime at 250 grains and above.

I have not shot the 300 grain bullets in the .338, but I'm sure a good bonded bullet of that caliber and weight would be sufficient for water buffalo. I recall a member of this board bragging up the kills of water buffalo by his 6.5x54 MS carbine.

I have owned several .375's (own 3 at this time) and two .338's (both still in the safe).

Having said the above comments, I will say without hesitation that if I ever get the chance to face a water buffalo or a Cape Buffalo, I will not be using a .338 Mag. I assure you my choice will be .45 caliber or above. Big heavy bullets can do amazing things.

So I don't see a choice between the .338 and the .375. I think the avid hunter and shooter should own both. Use them appropriately for the tasks to which they are best suited.

And by the way, I perceive the recoil of a .338 Mag. to be softer than the .375 H&H, but I have heard others say the opposite (as above).

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com