DarylS
(.700 member)
25/01/08 05:05 AM
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

Sarg - thanks for the pictures of the 400gr. "X". We've found the "X" does very well on our large game, but then there have been some 'run-offs' with less than good shooting to blame, when guiding, as with any bullet. The run-offs were aways collected within 150 yards, however which does speak well for the bullet's long wound channel.
: I didn't think the .400gr. "X" would expand as well as it did with such low velocity. It normally takes a very 'soft' normal bullet to work at those speeds - the 405gr. Rem and Winchester origianl .45/70 bullets come to mind. Such performance from the "X" are actually amazing.
: For me, the "X"'s main 'forte' is in the small bores at very high velocities, of course, like my daughter's .260 CLC.
: The Bantang experience just goes to show the higher velocity numbers generally require a correctly designed bullet for the game. All-round performance from a single projectile is rare. The 270gr. Partition might come closer than many, but then the new TSX 235gr. needs further testing in that regard.
: I wonder how that bantang would have reacted to your H&H with 400gr. Speer FN. bang/splat? Does the apparent failure of the Failsafe or "X" 300gr. mean the .375 isn't capable of killing that animal quickly, of course not, but there are those who might argue that point based on a single failure - against all common sense.
: Proper bullets, proper powders - it all makes a difference.
: Can't help thinking about J. Taylor's liking for that old Martini - 480gr. paper patched bullet at 1,380fps.
: We tend to forget how the large calibres with their black powder ballistics worked on the buffalo - it's written that the most buffalo were killed with military .50/70 carbines and rifles - that's only a 450gr. bullet at about 1,150fps to 1,260fps - but - it was .50 cal. and THAT made a difference in itself. I've a picture of some soldiers butchering a buffalo, with a .50/70 Sharps laying against it's hide. There are 7 dead buffalo in the single picture. Guess they air-lifted them in for the 'shot'. [;)]

Contact Us NitroExpress.com