reflex264
(.275 member)
24/01/08 12:37 PM
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

I am the last person in the world to start an on-line fight. I just like getting at the truth without bias. What I have found and am still finding are things aren't always what they seem to be. I have a pile of testing to do with many different bullets and cartridges. On the agenda is more work with the .458 and .460 Weatherby. If I had to name two bullets from any cartridge at this point as one being the best expanding bullet and one the best solid it would have to be the .416 Nosler Partition fired from any of the .416s at 2350fps and the 400gr Hornady encapsolated solid at the same velocity. The partition when fired faster leaves a larger initial cavity but doesn't penetrate as far. This being said I haven't seen what the .458 solids do from the .460 Weatherby yet. Now do we have to have the best when there is something that performs nearly as good even though it isn't supposed to? I hate to see Randy Garrett's name smeered especaily by hunters that have never used his ammo. I am not saying that everyone should run out and buy a 45-70 and his ammo but I will be the first to say that what info I have been able to gather on his ammo in the field has all been very good. Penetration has always been good even on buffalo. If you have a .375, .416 ,.458 or even a .600 Nitro by all means use it. They are all great and all get it done but don't discount to quickly things you haven't tried. reflex264

Contact Us NitroExpress.com