xring
(.224 member)
23/01/08 02:42 AM
Re: "45-70 is the way to go from Ele to T Rex "

Published data for the 450 Marlin loads out performs the 45/70 factory loads, however I realize that is true to accomodate all the old "trap-doors', etc. that are still out there. My suspicion is that because the 450 case capacity is about 10% less that that of the 45/70 the latter could be handloaded to outperform 450 handloads with the 500+ grain bullets. I have both a contender 45/70 and the BFR 450. I have shot the contender for years with heavy cast bullets (with good success) and have adaquate load data for that gun. I am however having difficulty finding any data on 500gr loads for the 450. I am not quite sure where I ought to start with the 450. I have lots of time to work out such loads prior to my hunt if I can identify a starting point. I would really like to get some 500 gr loads worked up and tested regardless of whether or not I decide to use the BFR on buffalo. Does anyone have such load data for the 450 Marlin?
Thanks to everyone who has commented on my 450 Marlin revolver for buffalo question, you have definitely given me food for thought.
xring

Contact Us NitroExpress.com