9.3x57
(.450 member)
04/01/08 03:32 AM
Re: Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms...

RIPP:

If memory serves me, the Zastava actions were the basis of the old "Whitworth" .458's, .375's, etc.

I have read mixed reviews. The old ones were sound rifles, poorly stocked. In fact, back in 1986, before I moved to RSA, I corresponded with Jack Lott and he offered to build me a .458 Lott on a Whitworth rifle, complete with recoil throughbolts etc.

Here's the kicker...

He offered to do it for $300 if I sent him the rifle!

I already had a left hand .375 ordered and I had no earthly use for a .458 Lott and had no $ either for a spare rifle, and I passed. What a knothead I was. Could'a bought a few "practical" rifles with what I could have later got for his...

Anyway, the Zastava actions were imported as "Charles Daly" a few years ago, then Rem got ahold of them, like they got hold of Baikal, as importers.

I am familiar with the Remington setup, which makes for an unbelieveably ugly gun IMO, that is, in the standard calibers. Maybe they are selling?? To me, a Mauser just begs for a traditional trim and dress, and the Remington version has a horrific stock, no sights, etc.

Reason I was asking about the .458's and .375's, was that I was not sure if Remington was using these same Zastava actions, or if they have moved on to something else.

Do you know what the .458's are supposed to look like?

I do NOT know what the quality of the current Zastava actions are, but they were never super nice, with the oes I saw being about like polished milsurp actions. Therea re some differences. Triggers and safeties are commercial type, not military, so the bolt sleeve is different from the military ones, too. I think the actions would be sound, solid actions for a working gun. When sold by "Charles Daly" they were dirt cheap, too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com